SS liner to stove connection - sealant question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCass

Sep 21, 2012
SLC, UT
Hello all,

I have been lurking here for the past month since my wife and I decided to install a PE vista insert. Thanks for all the valuable info.

Install went very well.

Now I need to connect the SS Flex liner to the adapter and into the stove. My question is, aside from attaching with screws, I want to apply some high temp sealant as well.

What sealant will do? More specifically, what temp range? The guy I bought my stove from gave me some sealant rated up to 600 degrees. Is that adequate (i doubt it), or should I get something rated higher?

Thanks in advance. I really like these forums.

Shouldn't need to seal it, draft will suck everything up. BUT if you do want to seal it you need to use mill-pac

mil-pac-lg.jpg

I had a small gap i wanted to seal in where my liner connected to the stove adapter ( it was probably ok with out it) and for a couple bucks at Menards I found furnace cement- Fireplace mortor, i filled in the gap and plugged a couple old screw holes from the old insert and it has worked great. Rated for 2000 degrees.

If you can't find Milpack furnace cement does the job nicely. Butter the inside of the adapter and the flue collar before installing the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.