St. Croix Alburn Room Fan Cutting out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clickit54

Nov 23, 2015
Indiana
I replaced a old room fan last year because it was noisy and sounded like it was going to stop. This year I fired it up after a huge cleaning and the new fan sounds great. After 30 to 40 minites the Fan starts to cut out some. Like its dropping voltage or something. I tried several different times with same results. I did change some piping over the summer to get it away from the house some but nothing major. I switched back to the old fan to see if the new fan had issues. Same results after the stove came up to temp. Any ideas or Thoughts?

I replaced a old room fan last year because it was noisy and sounded like it was going to stop. This year I fired it up after a huge cleaning and the new fan sounds great. After 30 to 40 minites the Fan starts to cut out some. Like its dropping voltage or something. I tried several different times with same results. I did change some piping over the summer to get it away from the house some but nothing major. I switched back to the old fan to see if the new fan had issues. Same results after the stove came up to temp. Any ideas or Thoughts?
Which fan. Combustion or Convection? If convection then perhaps it is over heating and tripping the high limit switch. Also please describe you venting. What changes were made, what size is the pipe and how many 90's and clean outs do you have.

I think I've experienced varying convection fan speeds on my Lancaster stove in the past when turning it off and it's just cooling down for next 10 minutes or so. Sounds like the fan speed is varying up and down like fan is getting ready to seize. When run in Hi/Low modes from thermostat it holds fan speeds for respective 1,2,3,4,5 heat settings.

Guessing the control panel is varying voltage on your's and it's quite audible like mine. Normal i doubt it, but not sure what root cause is.

Which fan. Combustion or Convection? If convection then perhaps it is over heating and tripping the high limit switch. Also please describe you venting. What changes were made, what size is the pipe and how many 90's and clean outs do you have.

Convection fan is what is haveing the "issues". I start the stove and it runs nice and even . It shuts off while the stove warms up. Then kick backs on when the stove comes up to heating temp. All this time running well no issue. Then 30 to 40 minutes later of running with no issues it will start cuting out just slightly and back on and cuts out and back on. Never realy stops just slows down and you can hear it. Then when I go to shut the stove off because I am worried about it the stove goes in to shut down mode and the fan runs just fine with not issue. Old piping had one 90 in it which was my clean out and a 5 foot vertical with a cheep cap. THe horizantal was only about 24 inches which made the vertical to close to the white house. So this year I put a 48 inch vertical with one of the nice vertical Vent hoods. Trying to get it down and away frome the house.

Thinking it is my control panel too. Have two Convection fan and both of them are doing the same thing.

Convection fan is what is haveing the "issues". I start the stove and it runs nice and even . It shuts off while the stove warms up. Then kick backs on when the stove comes up to heating temp. All this time running well no issue. Then 30 to 40 minutes later of running with no issues it will start cuting out just slightly and back on and cuts out and back on. Never realy stops just slows down and you can hear it. Then when I go to shut the stove off because I am worried about it the stove goes in to shut down mode and the fan runs just fine with not issue. Old piping had one 90 in it which was my clean out and a 5 foot vertical with a cheep cap. THe horizantal was only about 24 inches which made the vertical to close to the white house. So this year I put a 48 inch vertical with one of the nice vertical Vent hoods. Trying to get it down and away frome the house.

Thinking it is my control panel too. Have two Convection fan and both of them are doing the same thing.

1. Based on your venting description I don't think in matters if it is 3" or 4" as you do not have an EVL issue.
2. I would try the cheap fix and replace the high limit switch to see if that fixes it. If not then you may be looking at a new board. You could also pull the board and re-seat it and see if that fixes it before buying a new one. Good luck and let us know how you make out so we all can learn.

Reactions: Clickit54
Status
Not open for further replies.