St Croix Auburn Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chevyman22360

Jan 3, 2014
South Dakota
I have two St Croix Auburn stoves that I currently burn corn. Stoves work great but I do get build up on the bottom corners of the glass, and this will happen a day or two after cleaning. Usually take a razor blade to scrape the black off. Both stoves are vented straight out the wall. I have done thorough cleanings. Running on setting 1. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Setting #1 is too low to run for long. The stove doesn't get hot enough. The black stuff is likely creosote. I was advised by my dealer not to run the stove under #3, except for periods it idles when the thermostat is satisfied.

My Prescott will leave light brown ash in those areas but never black. It's on continuously and thermostat bumps it between setting 1 and 3 out of a max of 5. Great stove, probably my favorite model for heat output, hopper and ash pan size, low maintenance and efficiency. Low point is the noisy burnpot motor which the Auburn doesn't have.

I have a Lancaster model that will leave darker deposits on the glass if run too long on setting 1 using pellets, but burns off when it ramps up to setting 4.

Curious how many years you've run the Auburns on setting 1? What position are your air dampers at? Mine were closed on a pencil and locked in place. I've cleaned up Auburns in the past that were nothing but wet slimey cresote throughout exhaust channels. Had to burn it out with a torch.

My manual says to run the stove on high for at least 20 minutes a day to clean it out. I seldom do that, and there is no creosote in my stove. But then, it runs on level 3 most of the time.

Agree that setting 3, 4, or 5 is hot enough to burn off the nasty stuff. I personally try to limit max burn to 3 or 4 and that is plenty hot enough for our 2000 sq ft house, but its on main floor so basement is rather cool and thats included in sq ft mentioned.

I've been Running my stove on #1 ever since I've had it. Doesn't seem to be to loaded up with ash. Main problem is glass getting dirty. The dampener I've always had full open. Seems like the flame looks the best. I will try a hotter setting and see if that helps. Thanks for all the replies.