St Croix Auburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B Smithers

Feb 11, 2014
Michigan
Hello all

I am what they might call a "long time, first time user" to this site I have lurked around for several years now and gained some good info for many. I have 2 multi-fuel stoves a Magnum Countryside in the basement and I just installed a St Croix Auburn on my main floor last weekend. I have a question on the Auburn, I purchased used from a family friend, cleaned it all up, new paint and a convection fan. Since the install so far so good, however I have one thing that concerns me. When the stove feeds the fuel(corn) the flames decrease drastically, on level 3 I can have flames almost to the lid, when the corn feeds they drop to half way. The corn is good and dry, I have the stove vented through the back wall only 2' of pipe and a hood and yes the OAK is hooked up. Lastly as soon as the corn hits the pot it burns up, so I think the damper is correct. Anyone have experience or ideas with this. Thanks for any and all help. B

I haven't tried burning corn in ours yet, but I would just think corn is pretty dense and doesn't start burning right away like a pellet. Just a guess

Pretty common with top fed pots when burning corn like bbfarm stated. Corn has a higher ignition temp than pellets, almost 200 degrees higher hence the slower feed to fire. Welcome to the site.

Thank you booth. I guess I had not looked at it that way, I had watched this stove run many times at its previous owners and never noticed this, however I am sure I was not watching it as closely as now its mine. Thanks again. B

Status
Not open for further replies.