1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ST CROIX BURNPOTS

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Salty, Nov 13, 2012.

1. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I get very few clinkers, and they don't stay long in the pot, so maybe that's why mine is still in good shape.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Loc:
    Sunbury , PA 17801
    Ditto
  3. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    After giving it some thought, I wonder if the clinkers do their damage by inhibiting the airflow through the pot's holes. The airflow has the effect of cooling the metal, so blocked airflow would allow the temperature of the metal to increase, causing the damage.

Thoughts, anyone?
  4. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    different parts of flame have different temps. I think it's more related to where the flame tips end up. I didn't think that the base of a flame was the hottest. LOL I vacuumed last nite (too lazy to go downstairs and get my eyephone) the whole front of the pot is stoved up. It's definitely heat related. This pot for some reason doesn't have alot of chlorides built up on it like previous one's have.
  5. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    u may have too much draft in yer install...let me guess 8 inch liner?
  6. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    6" not too much draft though I can close it right down or make it roar.
  7. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    Cleaned this afternoon and took some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the area around the igniter is not only cracked but about 1/2 thickness of normal already. I got this pot last winter around Feb or March. The top is so bent it's gone. The pot gets stuck in the slot it drops down into because it's out of square.
  8. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    okies did that
  9. Clay H

Clay H Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Oklahoma
    Mine in the York is 8 or 9 years old and looks fine?
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    That is your pot after cleaning?

Why is there that white crap there? That looks like a chloride build up..

Also what is the air hole configuration around the igniter hole when the pot is new? .

It looks to me like the stove was in a reducing burn (aka a charcoal fire, improper air/fuel mixture, excess ash buildup).

That poor burn pot.
  11. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    The white stuff covers the whole pot. In the third pic down those scrape marks are what the cheeta vac does any ash that sticks to the inside of the pot. Burn holes around the igniter are all good except for that hole that is by itself. The whole area around the igniter will look like that soon and it will just disappear. The discolored round area is already 1/2 metal thickness.

That poor burn pot has kept me toasty warm all year :)
  12. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    OK, salty, first I'd do a much better job on keeping those air holes full size you are impacting the amount of air reaching the pellets and thus slowing the burn down and increasing the temperature in the burn pot. If the fire gets past a certain temperature it will have expanded the metal enough to break spot welds, cause deflection to occur around larger holes and cracks at weak spots.

And yes a reducing burn can keep you warm while it is destroying your burn pot.
  13. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    I use the awl tool in my leatherman about once a month to clean all the holes to original size. Yea it's probably due..
  14. imacman

imacman Guest

WOW! That's what the pot looks like just since last Feb.???? Something seriously wrong with the stove or the pot design or something....that's terrible.

IMO, you need to bite the bullet and have a good stainless one Tig welded up like I suggested a while back. I'm sure Mike H at Englander can give you the specs on the best type of stainless to use.
  15. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Loc:
    Sunbury , PA 17801
    Use 316 L
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Sorry, Not buyin that! Inferno's maybe? Starting to sound more like a bash fest!
  17. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    hahahahahaha down boy down
  18. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    I may look at having the pieces laser cut. I have a 14 ton punch press that I could probably set a 1/8 punch up in it..should be enough tonnage to punch that stuff I'd think.

Is there a call for these I can't believe I'm the only one who has this problem when the dealer stocks them 3 at a time.
  19. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I'm on my third season with mine (bought it used, but it had a new pot in it), and it looks good as new.