St. Croix Greenfield exhaust pipe cap burn through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenA

Feb 24, 2015
Iowa
I have been burning corn in a St. Croix Greenfield for many years and have had on going problems with the exhaust pipe cap burning through. I have also replaced the entire pipe one time because the top was corroded. I am using Duravent pipe approved for corn and a stainless steel cap. The pipe runs about 15 feet straight out the roof and appears to accumulate fly ash at the top. I do a mid season exhaust pipe cleaning. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.
Have you thought of upgrading to a better pipe. The savings you have enjoyed burning corn could get you some nice Selkirk and may even help boost the stoves effeciency using the fresh air warming feature.

Selkirk for the win! I have been running the "new" corn rated pipe for quite a few years now without even a spot of corrosion on it. The first series was another story, it rotted out in just a couple of years but was replaced (pro rated though) under warranty.

I've been running Simpson duravent pellet rated....on a corn and pellet mix and somethimes straight corn depending on market price for a decade now and other than the bottom cleanout cap getting wonky (and replaced), I've had no corrosion issues, but I take my vent apart every spring and wash it out inside with a pressure washer and soap so nothing lingers over the warm months.

A byproduct of corn is nitric acid vapor so without regular maintenance and shutdown cleaning, not only with the venting corrode, so will the stove itself. After a very through cleaning in the spring, I fog my stove with Stabil fogging oil inside, my SOP.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I need to keep the pipe cleaner and give it a complete cleaning at the end of the season. The pipe I have is warranted for life so I got a new cap last year but it cost me $20 shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.