St. Croix Hastings Ash Cleanout Rod STIFF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
OK, keep the chuckles to yourselves. LOL. I've noticed the more I've burned my St. Croix Hastings, the harder it is to pull the ash cleanout rod. I actually had to use plyers to get it to move the other day. Then when the stove was cool, I had to manually move the grate inside to loosen it. What can I do to lube this and make it easier to pull?

ylomnstr,

I had the same thing. I vacuumed it real well. With the stove totally cold, I sprayed it down with WD-40. Worked it back and forth.
You may want to wait a while for the fumes to exit before starting. Don't want to see you explode.

It works well now. Thats what I did with my stiff rod.

BW

I'll give that a shot. Is there anywhere in there where I could throw some high temp grease?

I don't know about that. I think the grease would burn up. Like anything. My ash drop sticks in the beginning of the heating season. After it sits all summer. I suspect that the ash residue left in there, with summer humidity cake up a little.

Well we finally get to see single digits and below 0 windchill tonight. It is now pellet stove weather.

I want to say something funny but I won't. :zip:

sydney1963 said:

Oh, go ahead Syd.......

and while your typing, when is that new Avatar coming? The cat says he's tired of popcorn, can you give him a mouse or two?

macman said:
sydney1963 said:

Oh, go ahead Syd.......

and while your typing, when is that new Avatar coming? The cat says he's tired of popcorn, can you give him a mouse or two?

How is this macman? Creepy?

Nice!

And with that cat eating all the popcorn, I thought HE was the piggy......

I don't qualify as a pellet pig though. 3 tons delivered by a fancy truck, with a fancy fork lift. Though I do pick up every single spilled pellet (floor, basement, pick out of dog poop). If I pay $25 dollar dues does that apply?

woodsman23 said:
OHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh "ASH" clean out rod okay i see, never mind then......

Ohhhhhhhhhh, woodsman you are such a pig, but you like that!

macman said:
sydney1963 said:
...... pick out of dog poop.......

No Syd, please don't tell me you really do that......ewwwww

If I say I do, and pay the $25 dues, am I in the pellet pig club?

sydney1963 said:
macman said:
sydney1963 said:
...... pick out of dog poop.......

No Syd, please don't tell me you really do that......ewwwww

If I say I do, and pay the $25 dues, am I in the pellet pig club?

You'll have to run that by the 2nd in command, Eric at Kinsman....he is attempting a coup on eernest4 to become grand pooba, so you better make sure it's ok w/ him....I wouldn't want to make him mad......he tried smothering me with pellets until I sent him ALL the dues money.....he mentioned something about needing it for the big shindig at his place this spring after he takes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.