St-Croix Hastings vs Quad Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bru

Oct 8, 2012
I currently have a Tradition T300P-2 that I have never been able to run right (soot, poor combustion despite cleaning and was not able to remove the comb blower for clean-up). Venting is going straight up for 13 ft then, 2x45 deg and then straight up again for another 7-8 ft. Total eq lenght is about 20-23 ft on a 3" diameter vent. I know the venting is not ideal, but was already there when I bought the house and would be difficult to replace.

Looking at several reviews on the tradition, I found that I was not the only one having problems with this stove. Most of people had similar issues with that stove unfortunately. Sad, cause it really looks nice.

I am now considering replacing the stove for a new one keeping the same old style design. Looking on the internet, I found the St-Croix Hastling and Quad Castile being good candidates for a replacement, but I wanted to know your opinion about the those stove (which one the best). What are pros and cons ? Heard that Castile is pretty noisy and is not as good as other Quad stoves...is that true ??

Also, interested to know how easy is to access the mechanical components for repairs and how easy are they to clean. Do you think with my current venting design, I'll be able to run one of these stove correctly.

I have a harman p61 in the basement and really like the mechnical aspect of it. Very easy to clean and repair.

Thanks for your inputs, very appreciated.

Hello
I worked on a St. Croix Hastings and Quadrafires. They are different. They Hasting like all St. Croix stoves has a Versa Grate and needs special care and lubrication each year to keep it going. It is an older design. The quadrafire is a great stove. The Quads have a jamb proof auger design that works quite well and needs no special care.

Many stoves have noisy high pitched motors. One of my friends had one in his Enviro EF-2, while the high pitched wine did not bother me. (I can hear it) It drove my friend crazy! So I got a Fasco Generic exhaust blower replacement to upgrade his OEM blower. The new blower has Oil plugs so once a year a few drops of oil will make it last many, many years. The main issue was resolved. No Hi Pitched wine and my friend said he cannot even hear it!

That is what I found. Please put where you are in your Avatar so we can better help you.
Good Luck.

Hello

Your welcome. I have a Quadrafire Santa Fe in my shed with a switch in the house that switches the T-Stat on. Works great, when I go out there after breakfast it is a comfy 70 Deg F.

Click on pic to enlarge.

Attachments

• QuadrafireSantaFe.jpg
    QuadrafireSantaFe.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 204
The Hastings is 5000 btu more input than the Quad and is 82% efficient. I have never seen an efficiency number on a Quad. Like all St Croix stoves it is tight and a great heater. It also does not have a steel box hanging off the back of a cast iron stove.

all stoves make noise no matter what they are. there is a lot of moving parts. i have a castile and i love it. heats my whole house and looks great.

that is why i bought mine for a insert it looks like it belongs there.

and its not hard to work on just replaced my Auger motor and it was a breeze to do.

not matter what you buy good luck!

I have a 1997 St Croix that has been bulletproof... I have owned it 8 years and replaced one ignitor and learned to clean it. My vote is for a St. Croix... screw the looks but a stove for it's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.