St Croix Lancaster convection blower not running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danhenry

Jan 5, 2017
Northwest Ohio
This stove was new last season and operated great. This season, I removed and properly cleaned combustion and convection blowers. Also cleaned all exhaust passages. Stove lights properly, no diagnostic lights flashing however convection blower does not run, not even briefly during start-up procedure. Tested motor by hot wiring: ok. Tested wiring, leads have power. All functions work so did not believe this is a switch problem. Augur feeds. Hi limit reset ok. About all that is left is the control board and I hate to think that it has failed after just one season. I had another Lancaster for a number of years and it was a very good unit. I have always done all maintenance and keep the exhaust clean. Any ideas?? I have burned pellet stoves for a number of years now and cannot stress enough the importance of keeping exhaust passages clean. Thank you for any assistance provided.

You hooked a power cord to blower leads and blower works? You unhooked the blower leads and have 120v at the power coming from board? Are you checking your hot and the actual neutral that the blower is using or are you just grounding your other lead to the cabinet? Make sure you have a good neutral. If all that is good then with the fan hooked up start the stove and see start and use a amp loop meter on motor lead and see if it is pulling any amperage at start up. If so the motor needs replaced or bearings are tight and it cant start unless it is getting a full voltage start.

FWIW, I've noticed that if you bypass the vacuum sensor, the behavior is exactly as you describe: stove lights and feeds properly but no convection fan. Shut down due to over temp. At least it's that way on my older St. Croix.

Could your vacuum sensor be shorted?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk