St Croix Noisy or just me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colbyc

Dec 17, 2008
long island
I need some help/info to know whether I have a stove with problems or if it is just what comes with running a pellet stove.

I've had my st croix hastings for about 2 months now. I researched the stove, read the manual and have poured over this forum for tips on cleaning, maintenance, etc. I only run this stove at night so basically 12 hours from when we get home to when we leave. I spend 30-40 minutes diligently cleaning everything I can on the stove once a week. I am just coming up on running a ton through the stove.

My problem is it seems like each week the stove makes a new noise. First, my versa grate was rattling. Dealer came and replaced it and now it is rattling again. I have a phone call into him and am waiting from him to get back to me. Then the other night I noticed I could hear the auger coming on. It never did this before. Then it would go away and come back intermittenetly. In the same night I could hear a long squeling sound (the auger light was not on so I think maybe the versa grate bushings/rod may need to be lubed). Also one of my blowers is louder than it was originally (sounds like a whooping sound like a helicopter taking off).

I did run the stove really high last night to run out the pellets so I could vaccum out the hopper in case fines are getting caught in the auger causing that sound. This did seem to resolve the auger and squealing noise during the time I had it on high. Not sure if running it at a higher temp expanded the metal some how stopping the sounds or just coincidence.

My question is this: Do all pellet stoves make different sounds from time to time like mine seems to be doing or should I be concerned that maybe my stove has a bunch of different issues? It just seems like every time I look at the thing, there is a new/weird noise. Or am I just being too picky? I would like to address any issues I have now before I have bigger problems down the road.

Appreciate anyones input.

I do not have your brand but it is also my take on the pellet stoves that they make noises and more of them as time goes on. I have had two pellet stoves in the 7 years in this house, we go through five 40 pound bags of pellets a week. The reason I bought my current stove is the one before it was real noise and annoying. The new stove was much better the first four winters but even the first winter is made more noises as time went on. It has to be the heat contracting and expanding all over the place in the stove. When they run quiet they are so nice but when you start hearing an occasionally whiny fan and rumbling fan it can get annoying. At least you are calling and having them come look at things. Good luck on quieting it down.

Keith

I've got a Hastings, and yes, it's noisy. I'm kinda PO'd about it because one of my main concerns was having a quiet unit. The versagrate motor is definately the culprit. I've replaced the motor and it started making the noise again about a day later. I just think the lubricant in the motor wears out quickly. If you search you'll find a post I made about disabling the versa grate motor. If you disconnect it, it's unreal how much quieter the unit is. If it was always that quiet, I'd be much happier. It does require more maintenance with the versagrate motor disconnected, so it all depends on which bothers you more, cleaning more often, or the sound. I currently have the motor still hooked up because I did seem to find it burned more consistent with the motor running.

My St. Croix Pepin is probably a little noisier than some stoves but it's about 7 years old. I have a hopper extension on top and that deal rattles around some. And the blower fan has a vibration in it at full speed.I just turn it down a bit to quiet it down.

I'm so happy to have a warm home now that I could care less if the stove a little noisy.

The Versa-Grate is a wonderful feature... takes most of the work out of owning a pellet stove... I clean mine once per week when I empty the ashpan... some guys clean their stove twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.