St. Croix pellet stove making clicking/rattling noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flashpipe

Feb 19, 2015
Upstate NY
I purchased a St. Croix Prescott EXP pellet stove about 6 years ago and it's been GREAT. I would occasionally get a squeak from the auger or fan, but nothing repetitive or that caused any problems. I run the stove all day at the lowest setting when I'm not home and, I got home yesterday and there was a loud, random, repetitive clicking noise. At first I thought it was the fan, but, when I turned the stove off, the noise stopped immediately while the fan continued running.

I took a video of it so you can hear the noise. I apologize for it being sideways. :)

http://www.brianwpiper.com/house/pelletStove.mp4

Anyone have any idea what this might be??

Thanks!

The stove has 4 motors. Exhaust fan, room blower, auger and versa grate. When you shut the stove down, the room blower and exhaust fans will continue blowing until the stove cools. That leaves the auger and versa grate. I dont have speakers right now so can you tell me how frequently you hear the sound?

I hear a squeal from my versa grate, but no clicking. I don't have speakers either, so will try to check the video when I get home.

I hear a squeal from my versa grate, but no clicking. I don't have speakers either, so will try to check the video when I get home.

Put some grease on the cam and the squeal should stop.

It's pretty much constant clicking. It's not repetitive, very random, but constant. I tried listening to all the different parts, but it's hard to tell where it's coming from. I think it's either from the control panel itself or from the box that all the wires go into right inside the stove. It probably clicks, on average, 5-6 times per second.

Put some grease on the cam and the squeal should stop.

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't bother me that much and it isn't constant, and I'm waiting for warmer weather.

It's pretty much constant clicking. It's not repetitive, very random, but constant. I tried listening to all the different parts, but it's hard to tell where it's coming from. I think it's either from the control panel itself or from the box that all the wires go into right inside the stove. It probably clicks, on average, 5-6 times per second.

that doesn't sound good - seems to me that indicates it is electrical, but others would know way more than me on that issue (and may be able to get to the video before I can)

Possibly a relay.

Is the versa grate doing its thing, or just trying to? My Rev burnpot will make a clicking noise if it binds up ....................

Hmm...not sure how to tell if the Versa grate is working...would that stop clicking as soon as I turn off the power and then start again as soon as I turn it back on? I'm thinking it can't be the blower fan, exhaust fan or the auger because the fans keep going when I turn the power off and the auger doesn't turn with the power off, but the noise stops/starts immediately when the power is turned on/off.
If it's a relay, is it safe to leave it running over night or during the day when I'm not home? Hate the thought of turning the furnace back on, but certainly don't want to burn the house down...

The versa grate will shut off when you power down the stove.

Ah, I'm betting that's it...based on this thread, https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/st-croix-versa-grate.49521/ and this video, it looks like I could disconnect the versa grate and see if that's the issue...and at least I can keep running the stove without it, as long as I clean it regularly, and then clean it, lube it and try it out.
I appreciate the help, and, if you get a chance to watch the video and hear the noise, I'd appreciate it...just to be sure that's what might be the issue.
Thanks!!

Reactions: bogieb
I know its not your stove but the air damper in the video looks to me like its open too wide.

I saw your video, but didn't get any sound :(

Hmmm... Strange... I get audio on my phone and my PC... Hard to describe the sound... It's fast though, like popcorn popping... But squeaky...

My money is on the Versa Grate motor itself. It probably has oil holes for the bearings, at least at one end. Judging from the frequency and the fact that it stops immediately when shut off, the only suspect I have is the motor itself. The timing is way too fast for the Versa cam, which is (IIRC) 2 RPM.

BTW, I hope you run the stove at max heat for about ½ hour every day - especially since you run it so cool for hours on end. The manual calls for a hot run at least once a day. Running a stove that cool for so long is not the best idea.

You gave my Hastings ideas - it started clicking last night. I had shut it down real quick to clean out the clinkers and scrub the shaker plate and burn pot real quick. The shaker plate stopped in the wrong spot so I couldn't remove it (why does it stop at that spot 7/10 times - LOL). So I scooped out clinkers best I could and emptied the ashes. Started the stove back up and I heard clicking an whirring on intermittent basis for a while. It did sound like it was coming from in back / by the control panel. wasn't doing it this morning though so I have no idea what it was. Will shut it down again tonight to see if I can scrub the plate and make sure all clinkers are out of there, then see if it does the same thing at start up.

Heat seeker, thanks! I'm hoping that I can try lubricating the Versa Grate tonight and see if that works. If not, I'll follow the cleaning instructions in the video and see if that fixes it. And yes, as soon as I get home, I crank the stove up to hot for 15-20 minutes, then put it down to medium setting until I go to bed, then run it back down at cool overnight and during the day. I slide the two cleaning rods once a day and do a shutdown and complete cleaning once a week.
Bogieb, good luck with your Hastings...sounds like it got some bad ideas. :)

If you can't get the shaker plate out, try this: leave the door open, and start the stove. The Versa will run, but the stove won't start because it will get a #2 fault (vacuum loss). You may have to do this up to three times, depending on where it originally stopped, but you will be able to get the plate out to clean it. When you're done and the door is closed, the stove will start up normally. Works for me.

(Make sure the plate doesn't catch on anything if you have the burn pot removed. I just guide it with my fingers so it doesn't catch on anything.)

If you can't get the shaker plate out, try this: leave the door open, and start the stove. The Versa will run, but the stove won't start because it will get a #2 fault (vacuum loss). You may have to do this up to three times, depending on where it originally stopped, but you will be able to get the plate out to clean it. When you're done and the door is closed, the stove will start up normally. Works for me.

(Make sure the plate doesn't catch on anything if you have the burn pot removed. I just guide it with my fingers so it doesn't catch on anything.)

Did you say plate? Is there any food involved?

ETA: You would have gotten a like but I'm currently out.

Bears eat off of plates? Next you'll be telling me bears don't p**p in the woods…

And, thanks for the virtual "like"! I didn't know there was a limit.

On topic, I'm on my way to clean my stove. These Easy Heat pellets leave clumps, block the burn pot air holes, and leave a residue that looks like salt. Only fair heat, but better than nothing.

Bears eat off of plates? Next you'll be telling me bears don't p**p in the woods…

And, thanks for the virtual "like"! I didn't know there was a limit.

On topic, I'm on my way to clean my stove. These Easy Heat pellets leave clumps, block the burn pot air holes, and leave a residue that looks like salt. Only fair heat, but better than nothing.

Never tell a bear where it can or can not go ;lol. Yep, there's a limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.