St Croix Pepin digital board upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rlucas93

Dec 25, 2019
Boston
I’m taking a shot in the dark to see if anyone who owns a st Croix Pepin like myself has ever upgraded to a retrofit digital board from there turn knob analog?! I recently posted about an issue with my auger feeding at the rate of the feed light for 2 min and then stopping for 4min. As luck would have it...still haven’t found a solution. Seeing as most of my research has lead me to believe the stove like most out there regardless of age, should feed on and off consistently with the feed light depending on heat level. In search to resolve my issue I’m looking to know if there’s been similar issues that have been solved by the control board upgrade! New auger motor is ordered and I plan to install it later this week, I’ll update if that solved it!

Thanks!

I will be following this closely since i just installed a lancaster (the corn version of the pepin). In Dads workshop. I will be burning pellets in the lancaster. Mine is a 04 model and has an odd control board. Its not the newest digital but not the older one either. I think it is a crossover stove that does not have the knobs or the 1st gen board. Kinda a unicorn.
You are correct in your assumption of the board/knobs dictate the seconds on/off of the auger, thus feeding more or less fuel.

I will be following this closely since i just installed a lancaster (the corn version of the pepin). In Dads workshop. I will be burning pellets in the lancaster. Mine is a 04 model and has an odd control board. Its not the newest digital but not the older one either. I think it is a crossover stove that does not have the knobs or the 1st gen board. Kinda a unicorn.
You are correct in your assumption of the board/knobs dictate the seconds on/off of the auger, thus feeding more or less fuel.

Looks like we may be able to bounce some things off each other then! The issue that’s presenting to me is that the start up stage of the unit is normal according to St Croix tech service, but after that the stove won’t drop pellets for around 4 min, then drops in sync with the feed light for 2min, then stops for 4 again and so on and so forth. I’ve been told it’s the board, also been told it’s the auger, possibly a bad switch? It makes no sense at this point. There’s consistency to the madness in which it operates in that it’s true to the timing but what’s not right is every stove I’ve ever been around drops consistently with rate dictated by heat request. If any Pepin people are able to shed some light or even people with experience in an issue like this, Id be thrilled.

4 min off surely sounds wrong. Im guessing your fire goes out?

4 min off surely sounds wrong. Im guessing your fire goes out?

On any setting other than the highest fuel setting (level 6) its guaranteed to. At 6 it will have just enough embers to relight the dripped pellets..not ideal. But even on 6 it still will after some time

Does your control panel have dials or look like mine?

Attachments

• St Croix Pepin digital board upgrade
    29163.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 133
Check out this thread. It describes normal auger timing

The older analog boards used potentiometers and timer realay’s to control the feeding of fuel, the newer digital boards use programmed processors. Your older board may have worn contacts or pots. You can use contact cleaner on the pots to try and clean but the relay’s are sealed units and when wore out they are done. Upgrading to the newer board will more than likely help your feed timing but you need to make sure the new board uses the same rpm auger motor. Im pretty sure they do but some research before hand is recommended.

The older analog boards used potentiometers and timer realay’s to control the feeding of fuel, the newer digital boards use programmed processors. Your older board may have worn contacts or pots. You can use contact cleaner on the pots to try and clean but the relay’s are sealed units and when wore out they are done. Upgrading to the newer board will more than likely help your feed timing but you need to make sure the new board uses the same rpm auger motor. Im pretty sure they do but some research before hand is recommended.

This has been the most helpful info I’ve gotten yet! I did just order a new auger motor just for piece of mind, I’ll look into the upgraded boards info to see if it will work with the motor!

I saw the retrofit boards over at pellethead.com for a reasonable price.

I just remembered i had a spare Breckwell board i was going to loan you to test the stove, now im thinking you may need a harness because of the connector on the board. Need a pic of how the harness connects to your board

Reactions: Rlucas93
I just remembered i had a spare Breckwell board i was going to loan you to test the stove, now im thinking you may need a harness because of the connector on the board. Need a pic of how the harness connects to your board

This is the back of the original analog board! Thanks for all your insight!

Attachments

• St Croix Pepin digital board upgrade
    08F1E17C-9559-4DC8-AA17-5141908FA1A4.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 164
Unfortunately my board wont work. That is an old one with the six pin connector mine is a 10 pin. You may have to change the harness to use a newer board

UPDATE: Bought a new Auger motor from earth sense.com. I just finished putting the auger in and operationally it works fine although it does make a slight electric motor noise when running. That aside, my stove is operating slightly different than the original issue I was having. Prior to buying and installing a new auger motor the auger would supply pellets in sync with the feed light for two minutes. Then it would have a break of about four minutes before It started dropping pellets. Now with the new auger it does the exact opposite, it’ll feed in sync with the feed light for four minutes and then it’ll stop for two minutes I’m not exactly sure if this is the actual proper operation of the stove or this is just a cycle in which the stove gets hot enough to trip switch and stop the augurs feed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Let me get this right. It feeds pellets off and on for 4min. Then no turning of the auger for 2 min?

also, what auger motor did u buy from pellethead?

UPDATE: Bought a new Auger motor from earth sense.com. I just finished putting the auger in and operationally it works fine although it does make a slight electric motor noise when running. That aside, my stove is operating slightly different than the original issue I was having. Prior to buying and installing a new auger motor the auger would supply pellets in sync with the feed light for two minutes. Then it would have a break of about four minutes before It started dropping pellets. Now with the new auger it does the exact opposite, it’ll feed in sync with the feed light for four minutes and then it’ll stop for two minutes I’m not exactly sure if this is the actual proper operation of the stove or this is just a cycle in which the stove gets hot enough to trip switch and stop the augurs feed. Any ideas or suggestions?
I would buy the upgrade kit and convert it over. That is all your controls. Price is reasonable. Digital board works well and is reliable. Mine is 10 yrs old and still going