st croix prescott cleaning!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I got called to do a routine cleaning on a Prescott yesterday. This is the first St Croix I had worked on w/ the versa grate and auto ignite. The homeowner had never removed the burnpot or bottom grate since he had the stove,the ash was packed in the entire burnpot cavity and air intake tube like mortar! I had to chip it out. Then had to remove versa motor and cottoer pin and back of stove to remove set screw in bottom shaker. All this to get behind shaker so the cleanout rod would moove and get ash dump working. This ended up being a 4 hr cleaning. The ash was tan in color and hard like mortar.The air intake tube was filled 2 inches deep solid, I had to take a screwdriver and hammer to chip it out, it was sealed shut. This was the worsed I had seen.

My prescott has been getting a steady dose of leaf blower cleaning after every ton along with removing motors and cleaning them,plus my weekly cleaning which involves burn pot and shaker plate removal.On my fifth season doing it this way with no issues. A clean stove is a happy stove.

Wouldn't it be nice if the selling dealers would educate the buyers about stove maintenance?

Yeah a little dealer education would have saved this guy some money. 100mi. round trip and 4 hr labor. He told me that the installers that came out looked like they were gang members and/or recently out of prison. He said he was afraid to ask to many questions

Status
Not open for further replies.