St Croix Prescott new control board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seang1989

Oct 18, 2009
Southern NH
Long story short, stove not working correctly for a while. Board won't light up, power to stove good. Scheduled service with dealer, told them board dead, new fuses ect. Wait 6, yes six weeks for service man to show up, walks in says board is dead has to order one and can come back in January!!!!!!!!!!!! Wife calls having fits, I'm at work.

Off to dealer next day, throw nutty in showroom, who doesn't have parts in stock, service man was rude ect. Won't give me board off showroom floor, but agrees to overnight me new board. My stove is 2005 model, tells me new board version works. they overnight new board. I go to change it and there is an additional wire coming out of the harness with the main plug to plug into the control board. The old board has a wire coming out from under the board that this connects to. This new board does not have the wire coming out from under the board to connect to this extra wire.

In the attached pictures, the new board is on the left, the old on the right. Notice the connector coming out from under the board, that is what I'm talking about. In the third picture my thumb is on the extra wire which is purple and attaches inside the stove to the versagrate motor.

Anyone run into this or have any idea what to do?

Thanks

Attachments

• board front.jpg
    board front.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 305
  • board back.jpg
    board back.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 314
  • harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 291
I think I have answered my own question. I took the old board off the face panel, the wire is just soldered into the board. I think it's supplying just power since the motor on the versagrate runs consistently. On the front of the new board, (cropped picture below), is a tab that the purple wire would connect to. What else would it be for? Hope I'm right.

Attachments

• board the answer.jpg
    board the answer.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 278
Yes that was the correct connection.

Stove still didn't. I finally beat the crap out of the the inside and outside of the stove, then put the business end of my commercial back pack blower over the intake blowing at 205mph, then it worked.

seang1989 said:
.....I finally beat the crap out of the the inside and outside of the stove, then put the business end of my commercial back pack blower over the intake blowing at 205mph, then it worked.

As Krooser states in his signature, 80% of problems are caused by dirty stoves.

I happen to think that figure should a bit higher.

macman said:
seang1989 said:
.....I finally beat the crap out of the the inside and outside of the stove, then put the business end of my commercial back pack blower over the intake blowing at 205mph, then it worked.

As Krooser states in his signature, 80% of problems are caused by dirty stoves.

I happen to think that figure should a bit higher.

Thank you for your support....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WytC7QcIF9M&feature=related

seang1989 said:
Yes that was the correct connection.

Stove still didn't. I finally beat the crap out of the the inside and outside of the stove,
then put the business end of my commercial back pack blower over the intake blowing
at 205mph, then it worked.

What do you mean by "stove still didn't"? Was the control board in fact defective or
did the stove just need to be cleaned?

Status
Not open for further replies.