St. Croix SCF 050 Pot Overflowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Smokey... its a wonderful feeling to get past this issue... and to know where to look in the future when the issue occurs.. Has been a tough and long learning curve that's for sure.. tested my patience.

Yes, it sure does test one's patience, now you can help others. This situation shows up like clockwork and gets rather common on here, along about February practically every thread on here will be for the same reason. It sometimes tries to hide by changing stove brands or flashing lights at the stove owner, but the end cause is the same crud in the works. The reason we harp on cleaning the stoves first is that the other symptoms that folks get concerned about are likely caused by the same thing.

Yes, it sure does test one's patience, now you can help others. This situation shows up like clockwork and gets rather common on here, along about February practically every thread on here will be for the same reason. It sometimes tries to hide by changing stove brands or flashing lights at the stove owner, but the end cause is the same crud in the works. The reason we harp on cleaning the stoves first is that the other symptoms that folks get concerned about are likely caused by the same thing.
I will definitely help on here with this issue as I know how frustrating it is... The crazy thing is I would work so hard on cleaning this unit doing everything I know even doing the LBT... I never knew it even existed back there I just thought behind those pesky ash trap doors it needed to be cleaned upwards so I would take a dryer vent brush and work like crazy up there and would think to myself.... its clean! the mirror trick really opened my eyes! (Thanks heat seeker!) I never knew... but know in hindsight I get it and I see why I had issues... that path that was clogged is the path for airflow to the burn pot, Its amazing how much difference it made.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
:)I am so happy that you've got it running like it should! Now you and yours enjoy the heat and get on with life!:)

I will definitely help on here with this issue as I know how frustrating it is... The crazy thing is I would work so hard on cleaning this unit doing everything I know even doing the LBT... I never knew it even existed back there I just thought behind those pesky ash trap doors it needed to be cleaned upwards so I would take a dryer vent brush and work like crazy up there and would think to myself.... its clean! the mirror trick really opened my eyes! (Thanks heat seeker!) I never knew... but know in hindsight I get it and I see why I had issues... that path that was clogged is the path for airflow to the burn pot, Its amazing how much difference it made.

If a stove; is purchased used, that area is always suspect and likely like a brick, has burned more than a ton of pellets, will build up loose ash, or has set uncleaned over a summer, whatever is in that area can clump and harden. Before it hardens a LBT will dislodge it as will a strong shop vacuum in through the combustion blower cavity. So regular cleanings are a must as well as a final end of season one.

:)I am so happy that you've got it running like it should! Now you and yours enjoy the heat and get on with life!:)
heat seeker- my wife probably couldn't agree more... I was starting to think this furnace was getting getting in between my marriage :p I was spending way to much time with it..

You definitely want to avoid "The Jealous Wife Syndrome"! It's no fun sleeping on your stomach for the rest of your life so as to protect the family jewels!

Just following up on this - I want to thank everyone for their help and expertise first and foremost... I purchased a small mechanics mirror as heat seeker recommended and sure enough I was able to see a combustion path behind the burn pot that I never knew existed... I always had cleaned the ash traps but went vertical not horizontal (behind the burn pot) and what I saw was not good.. It was clogged and I stuck my finger in there and could feel how clogged it was. I purchased some semi stiff plastic flex tubing and cut a piece of about a foot and duct taped it to the end of my shop vac and really worked in there I could hear all kinds of junk being vacuumed up, I took a rubber mallet and banged several times along the firewall and then vacuumed again. I knew I was on to something so I decided to go with the mold on St. Croix stoves and set my air damper back to the #2 pencil width and I kept the feed rate (jumpers in middle) to 11.5 and left the draft trim at +5v (not sure if really necessary) fired it up and decided to keep trying the hardwood and just like when I had the softwoods burning I could tell things were going to be better.. right away the pellets were dancing in the burn pot and it was burning hot. I came back to check after 2 hours which would normally be a overflowing pot (with hardwoods) and I couldn't believe what I saw.. The fire was burning so crisp and clean there was barely any ash and the pellets were jumping around like popcorn.. but the most shocking thing I saw was that the glass was crystal clear, I have never had that once since working with this stove, usually after about 30 mins I have some type of black soot along the sides of the glass and the middle stays clear... I let it run overnight and checked this morning and same thing the fire was really going strong and so clean the glass had just the lightest hint of grey on the sides but you really had to look to even see it.. I feel I have with all your help finally conquered this beast! The heat it is putting out is so much better than what I have had before as well it was about 10 degrees here last night and I ran I on 4 overnight and it kept the house very cozy something I have never really had as usually it would dip a few degrees overnight in the past and I would turn on the oil burner for few mins to take the chill off.. This couldn't come at a better time as I was so desperate to get this thing working correctly before the baby arrives and it is looking like that will be any day now.. Again much thanks to all those who responded to my plea for help, it is appreciated more than I can express. It is a nice feeling to be on the other end of this battle as I was getting so close to just get rid of this unit and buy a new one which was not really in the budget this year. For the first time I am liking this furnace.

Thanks for the update nthruber. I'm going to have to look at this pathway that Smokey mentioned, as I never knew it existed either (only had my stove a month or so) and I can't get the stove adjusted to burn quite as nicely as I would like.

Zounds! Could we have a twofer here?

Thanks for the update nthruber. I'm going to have to look at this pathway that Smokey mentioned, as I never knew it existed either (only had my stove a month or so) and I can't get the stove adjusted to burn quite as nicely as I would like.
bogieb - I hope it helps you like it did for me... What really seemed to get in there was a thicker flex hose (plastic) that I bought in the plumbing dept at the hardware store, then cut off a roughly foot long section and attached to end of shop vac and really worked the area... it was a messy job and I recommend wearing some gloves! Good luck!

Reactions: bogieb
Zounds! Could we have a twofer here?

Naw, that is a once in a blue moon occurrence, I don't think that is this month. The chap in the Auburn thread likely has this as well but is getting sidetracked by a possible jumper issue and the controllers reaction to what the condition is causing, I do not like to implicate any stove component if I do not believe the stove is clean.

Just so the people passing through or in this thread don't know. A crudded up stove can appear as many other things and until the stove is known to actually be clean tossing parts at it will not fix anything. That is why we harp on cleaning and can get a might pushy in our harping.

Reactions: heat seeker
Naw, that is a once in a blue moon occurrence, I don't think that is this month. The chap in the Auburn thread likely has this as well but is getting sidetracked by a possible jumper issue and the controllers reaction to what the condition is causing, I do not like to implicate any stove component if I do not believe the stove is clean.

Just so the people passing through or in this thread don't know. A crudded up stove can appear as many other things and until the stove is known to actually be clean tossing parts at it will not fix anything. That is why we harp on cleaning and can get a might pushy in our harping.
Sound advice Smokey - I did everything including paying a contractor to come out and shorten my exhaust (which in the end still glad i did) changed pellets, messed with jumper / draft settings, air intake settings etc.... it was likely a simple thing in the end... live and learn i suppose. Having the stove moved though was something i am glad happened as it shortened the exhaust substantially and made the stove much more accessible (side panels, hooper, etc..) so it may not have been "needed" it was something that ultimately needed to be done and this forced my hand.

Maybe, maybe not (on the twofer). I know that I have a slightly smaller gasket in the door than is stock, but it is much larger than the one that came with it. I did to the LBT, after doing a second good cleaning (and getting behind the doors), so that may have taken care of the pathway. I also have a couple of other things to check, but actually that is the easiest (getting that gasket off the door is going to be a bear because I glued it on real good - LOL). However, the stove doesn't run badly, just not as well as I believe it should, so I have been less than enthusiastic to put a whole lot of effort into chasing what is causing a minor disturbance (until it warms up outside anyway).

So many of these issues could be solved a lot easier if we could sit around in the summertime and crank the stove right up on high while we're sitting there with a cold one listening to a ball game on the radio with no pressure from tonight's cold ..........................

So many of these issues could be solved a lot easier if we could sit around in the summertime and crank the stove right up on high while we're sitting there with a cold one listening to a ball game on the radio with no pressure from tonight's cold ..........................
So I have some newbie type question for SCF 050 owners and revolution owners... It states the hopper is 200lb capacity but I am pretty sure only 4 bags of pellets actually fits in the hopper which is fine but wondering if that is the case with everyone else? Also how often do you do the touch up cleaning (vacuum the burn pot, etc.) I am hoping now that things are in order to only need to really clean it out once a week with maybe a touch up in between... is that realistic? I will do a once a month LBT type cleaning as well to prevent this issue from cropping up.

So I have some newbie type question for SCF 050 owners and revolution owners... It states the hopper is 200lb capacity but I am pretty sure only 4 bags of pellets actually fits in the hopper which is fine but wondering if that is the case with everyone else? Also how often do you do the touch up cleaning (vacuum the burn pot, etc.) I am hoping now that things are in order to only need to really clean it out once a week with maybe a touch up in between... is that realistic? I will do a once a month LBT type cleaning as well to prevent this issue from cropping up.
Does it say that? Never noticed ............ but, anyway, 3 bags of pellets crowds mine .................. I suppose if you were running a dense fuel, maybe ............... all I've burned is pellets, can't find anything else at a competitive price ..................

Does it say that? Never noticed ............ but, anyway, 3 bags of pellets crowds mine .................. I suppose if you were running a dense fuel, maybe ............... all I've burned is pellets, can't find anything else at a competitive price ..................
Quick question - Do you guys think I should leave my jumper setting on the middle jumpers (11.5) auger time or try going back to the default 10 second time now that I have things ironed out? The stove has been burning great for past couple days and now I am wondering if it would be worth setting it back to see if I get more heat or just leave well enough alone... appreciate your thoughts.

I opt for the default settings if at all possible. You may have to make a slight tweak in the draft only trying will tell.

ETA: The manual for his says 200lb hopper on the picture but who knows it may be that just the hopper weighs in at 200lbs, the manual for yours says a large hopper on the picture.

Quick question - Do you guys think I should leave my jumper setting on the middle jumpers (11.5) auger time or try going back to the default 10 second time now that I have things ironed out? The stove has been burning great for past couple days and now I am wondering if it would be worth setting it back to see if I get more heat or just leave well enough alone... appreciate your thoughts.

I wouldn't change it unless you switch to Corn. I suggested the settings based on my experience with corn and pellets. Due to the difference in venting etc. it is a bit of trial and error.

I wouldn't change it unless you switch to Corn. I suggested the settings based on my experience with corn and pellets. Due to the difference in venting etc. it is a bit of trial and error.
Arti - I experimented with going back to the 10 second setting and overnight kept adjusting the air damper... seemed like the more i opened the damper the better the pot stayed balanced to the point where i had it open horizontal to the floor (wide open) but still after several hours i could tell it was going to overflow.. I took your advice and this morning put it back to the 11.5 and closed the damper to the #2 pencil width as that was working well... should of just left well enough alone.. but i think the curiosity would of always been there so guess its out of my system... Thanks for your help

Thanks everyone for your help... very appreciated

Arti - I experimented with going back to the 10 second setting and overnight kept adjusting the air damper... seemed like the more i opened the damper the better the pot stayed balanced to the point where i had it open horizontal to the floor (wide open) but still after several hours i could tell it was going to overflow.. I took your advice and this morning put it back to the 11.5 and closed the damper to the #2 pencil width as that was working well... should of just left well enough alone.. but i think the curiosity would of always been there so guess its out of my system... Thanks for your help

Thanks everyone for your help... very appreciated

Thanks for the feed back, we always wonder if our advice is working or not, also anyone else with a problem like this might find this thread and get some help from it.

You might have to play with the trims as well, as the damper to get the stove dialed in on a 10 second cycle.

You might have to play with the trims as well, as the damper to get the stove dialed in on a 10 second cycle.
Have a question for all of you... Things have been working great on my stove the past several days and i feel i have it dialed in, but last night we had pretty strong winds from the NW and my chimney faces the west unobstructed. I noticed that it wasn't burning as good as it was starting to pile up a bit but not quite overflowing. I cleaned it out last night and started it back up and for the most part been working good but i am thinking it has more to do with the wind dying down vs. the cleaning.. What do others do to prevent this? I have a 45 degree Simpson duravent termination cap and not sure if a different cap or some kind of shield would help prevent this.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.