St. Croix - The dead versa grate motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a hard one to ever notice. Perhaps if that anyoing squeak goes away you'll know that the motor may not be turning. This motor is located directly under the auger and aften takes the brunt of the auger shavings over time. Today I found a pellet lodged behind the motor. To note: the burn pot was clogging continually. So perhaps this versa grate actually does do something.
IMG_20100816_152156.jpg

IMG_20100816_152144.jpg

Them moving parts will get you every time.

We really need to get smart and go back to simpler things.

I fixed a John Deere pellet stove (I believe it is just a re labeled st croix) had a very similar setup. It was also broken: the likage was bent. A poor design, IMHO.. the rotating forks on the "multifuel" units are better.

My versa grate crapped out last year too. Stove would burn but it really piled up the crud in the burn pot. Was under warranty yay! This was in a York insert

SmokeyTheBear said:

Wood stoves are simpler... so were Model T's...

knock on a pellet, I havent had any trouble with mine. Just the combustion fan taking a crap.

krooser said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Wood stoves are simpler... so were Model T's...

Wood stoves also don't burp if the power goes out ;-) .

That looks like an old design. The newer ones 2-3 years old look beefier.

Mine has been bulletproof since I bought it used 4 seasons ago.... it's a 2001 model.

mnkywrnch said:
cold front said:
That looks like an old design. The newer ones 2-3 years old look beefier.
Plus they moved the motor from under the auger and put it to the side.
Thats what it is. It's a lot different now. It's good to see a company making improvements unlike some auto companies

Skrew the versa grate. I unplugged it and never looked back.
Some good pellets and a quick five second scrape of the pot
a couple times a day and she's good to go. There's always
someone home here so it works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.