St Croix Versa Grate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotech

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2010
NE
I came across a St Croix Versa Grate stove the other day. It seems like a good idea, but adds noise to the stove. I wonder why they don't run it off a TRIAC controlled by a timer. Basically, like the auger is control. I think that would cut down on wear, maintenance, noise.
Maybe even put a dimmer switch on it to slow it down during constant operation. Is 1 RPM always on really necessary? Any one try the dimmer to quite the mechanism down?

If you're referring to the gear noise from the gearbox, someone posted that putting high-temp grease in the gearbox quieted it down. Mine makes a noise that to me sounds like the little gears meshing; I have heard the same sound from old clock motors.
The idea is to have the grate continually moving to keep the burn pot clear. When I disconnected mine for a day, I got a super-sized clinker in the burn pot, so I reconnected the Grate motor. Now I am back to getting clinker marbles, but at least they don't block the air holes.

Mine has been whisper quiet since I bought my stove in '06... lots of folks mention the noise... most lube the gear box and the bushings on the shaft that works the grate.

Mine is quiet except for the St Croix wheeze. I know I can fix it by pulling the insert and lubing the cam. I'm too lazy :)

My versagrate motor died in the first year and was replaced in warranty. Since then it's been fine. Is there an aftermarket place to buy this specific motor? I'd be interested in spare at some point.

Salty said:
Mine is quiet except for the St Croix wheeze. I know I can fix it by pulling the insert and lubing the cam. I'm too lazy :)

My versagrate motor died in the first year and was replaced in warranty. Since then it's been fine. Is there an aftermarket place to buy this specific motor? I'd be interested in spare at some point.
Bump

I wonder myself as to where the best place to get after market parts for St. Croix stoves

cold front said:
Salty said:

Bump

I wonder myself as to where the best place to get after market parts for St. Croix stoves

www.pellethead.com

No deals but they stock almost every part you would need.

The noise is not a problem, but it could be quieter. I expect noise from a pellet stove because of the comb, conv, and auger motors. Synthetic grease in the gearbox does help. Copper antiseize on the versa system helps. I was just thinking that intermittent operation would work just fine for grate cleaning and it would save power and noise. For instance, if the heat setting is on heat/idle mode then why not slow down the versa grate when only a small amount of pellets are being burned in idle mode? I think it comes down to the simplicity of the control board.

I agree, especially when simplicity=lower cost to manufacture and design.
It's probably a matter of diminishing returns - would the extra cost be worth it? To some of us, the answer is Yes!

Salty said:

Versa grate motor
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-AC-Gearmotor-3M095?Pid=search

Salty said:
Mine is quiet except for the St Croix wheeze.
I know I can fix it by pulling the insert and lubing the cam. I'm too lazy :) My versagrate
motor died in the first year and was replaced in warranty. Since then it's been fine.
Is there an aftermarket place to buy this specific motor? I'd be interested in spare at some point.

Yeah you can save a little bit and get the aftermarket motor but
it doesn't have a grease fitting (the one in the pic doesn't anyway) I'd pay a couple extra bucks
and get one from a dealer because the new ones they're selling
have the grease fitting. Beats taking apart the thing to pack it
like everyone had been doing a couple years back.

The Versa Grate should not be noisy. St Croix recently changed the motor and gear box to one with a grease fitting. The grease fitting style requires a different bracket. Keeping the cam and rod lubed with anti-sieze takes care of the rest of the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.