St Croix versus Harmon corn/pellet burners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrufpup

Oct 8, 2009
NW Pa
Hey out there we are just starting to do our research on corn/pellet stoves. Have looked at both the St Croix brand and Harmon. Got any pros and cons you'd like to share. We have heated previously with an outside boiler.

I hate to hawk my own wares, but you may not even be in my sales territory. Anyone looking for a true multi fuel stove should at least look at the Europa by Paromax. I've burned corn and pellets in mine in our showroom and am in LOVE.
www.paromax.ca
www.pelletstove.com

scrufpup said:
Hey out there we are just starting to do our research on corn/pellet stoves. Have looked at both the St Croix brand and Harmon. Got any pros and cons you'd like to share. We have heated previously with an outside boiler.

Please take a look at the Enviro M55. We are burning it in the shop now and I can not say enough about this stove. We used to be a dealer for St. Croix and I have to say the Enviro is very good.

Attachments

• 2009_1005stoveshop10090048.jpg
    2009_1005stoveshop10090048.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 881
How does that Enviro do burning corn? What kind of ash management system does it have? I know Enviro has a lot of happy dealers out there, I just havent gotten much feedback on the corn side of things.

You won't be disapointed with the St. Croix...i can't speak about the Harmon though.

Franks said:
How does that Enviro do burning corn? What kind of ash management system does it have? I know Enviro has a lot of happy dealers out there, I just havent gotten much feedback on the corn side of things.

Huge ash pan and a huge burn pot along with an agitator than turns when the auger turns. Quite a nice system. The heat is amazing.

Field Tester notes:

"The new ash pan system appears to be idiot proof"

" We did burn corn in it for 1 1/2 days handled it fine with only a thin layer of grey crust and no hard glass. We ran it on high for 4-=5 hours and it burns very hot !! Even on low it impressive how much heat was coming out..."

pelletdude said:
Franks said:

Huge ash pan and a huge burn pot along with an agitator than turns when the auger turns. Quite a nice system. The heat is amazing.

Field Tester notes:

"The new ash pan system appears to be idiot proof"

" We did burn corn in it for 1 1/2 days handled it fine with only a thin layer of grey crust and no hard glass. We ran it on high for 4-=5 hours and it burns very hot !! Even on low it impressive how much heat was coming out..."

I have an Enviro Omega. It will burn corn very nicely. I burned it for 2 straight weeks and was impressed with the heat output. I just wanted to make sure if I couldn't get pellets,I would have HEAT!

It will burn switchgrass pellets very nicely as well. The great thing about it is it has no issues with bad pellets with ease. I burned the bad Mainewoods and ACP pellets.

The M55 is basically a smaller Omega. there burnpot is practically the same. The M55 has a better control than the Omega. More advanced and more features.

You will be vey happy with the either of the Enviro stoves.

Harmans are also nice stoves, Just a little to pricey for me. I was interested in the P68, But the ignitor issues they had and the $4000.00+ price tag steered me to my present stove. I got the stove and a winters supply of pellets for less than the harmon.

just my 2
jay

And we ALL know that Ford is better than Chevy, right????

In todays market. Does the name really matter? I think overall value is the key.

If you can get a good deal and save a buck. The Enviro, Harman and ST. Croix all seem to have a good product. Let the price, ease of use and style be the seller. Of coarse quality but all 3 have that!

My FORD will haul the pellets just as good as CHEVY, DODGE and TOYOTA! They all had a good warranty. The Dodge and Toyota was too expensive at the time. I didn't like the chevy dealer or the style. The Ford was the cheapest price and had the most options. It was a no brainer for me. Oh and I traded in the Dodge( which was the best deal at the time) when I bought it. In this day and age sometimes the wallet has to be the BOSS!

just my 2 and IMO!
jay

"FORD" Just like a pellet stove, Fix Or Repair Daily. Thought that was pretty neat. I have nothing against Fords.

Bkins

scrufpup said:

St. Croix , hands down

hossthehermit said:
scrufpup said:

St. Croix , hands down
Im with Hoss.........

Status
Not open for further replies.