st. croix wont fire "hastings"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysam

Dec 13, 2009
[email protected]
I just hooked up my used st croix hastings corn stove. i push the on button the fan kicks on for 30 seconds or so and then shuts off and a lower speed fan continues run and every so often it augers corn in, mean while the number 2 light flashes. according to the manual i believe it went into "safety shutdown" any help would be greatful. thanks

shelbysam said:
I just hooked up my used st croix hastings corn stove. i push the on button the fan kicks on for 30 seconds or so and then shuts off and a lower speed fan continues run and every so often it augers corn in, mean while the number 2 light flashes. according to the manual i believe it went into "safety shutdown" any help would be greatful. thanks

Here's the web site manual.
http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/downloads/dig2/Hastings_Operation_Manual_6-08.pdf

Here's the portion, of the manual, associated with #2 LED (VACUMN SWITCH):
The Vacuum Switch - For the stove to operate, the Firebox needs to be sealed.
During the first 30 seconds after the stove has been turned on the Control Board will check
if the switch senses negative pressure (Vacuum) in the Firebox of the stove. If there
is no negative pressure, the stove will shut down and the #2 LED will start blinking.
Vacuum switch also called the Negative pressure switch. When the stove is turned on
the Exhaust fan will create a negative pressure in the firebox. The control board continually
checks to see if Negative Pressure (vacuum) is present during operation of the Stove. If the
exhaust venting system becomes clogged or obstructed, the firebox door or ash pan door are
left open or the exhaust fan quits working the control board will go into “Safety shutdown”.
There is a 60 second window to allow for cleaning the glass and removing the clinker
before then Stove shuts down. This is sufficient for the Daily Maintenance.

**On my St. Croix, it craps out if the door is open more than 30 seconds.
Once that happens, I have to wait for complete shutdown(no fans blowing) before I can restart.
Use the dollar bill test and check the door the gaskets for leaks.
I also read where the Hastings can be used with a maximum 50% corn and 50% pellets.

shelbysam said:
Make sure all gaskets are good ,ash pan, door,and that theres no blockage in the stove creating weak vaccum.BTW the hastings is a pellet stove that you can burn up to 50% max corn/pellet mix.If your trying to light straight corn in wont light,even after you get the first problem resolved.
mnkywrnch

mnkywrnch said:
shelbysam said:
Make sure all gaskets are good ,ash pan, door,and that theres no blockage in the stove creating weak vaccum.BTW the hastings is a pellet stove that you can burn up to 50% max corn/pellet mix.If your trying to light straight corn in wont light,even after you get the first problem resolved.
mnkywrnch

ash pan and door seals are good. where would i check for blockage in the stove? i hook a shop vac on the outside chimney and cleaned it. any other ideas. how will i strart it if corn wont work?

relxn88 said:
shelbysam said:

Here's the web site manual.
http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/downloads/dig2/Hastings_Operation_Manual_6-08.pdf

Here's the portion, of the manual, associated with #2 LED (VACUMN SWITCH):
The Vacuum Switch - For the stove to operate, the Firebox needs to be sealed.
During the first 30 seconds after the stove has been turned on the Control Board will check
if the switch senses negative pressure (Vacuum) in the Firebox of the stove. If there
is no negative pressure, the stove will shut down and the #2 LED will start blinking.
Vacuum switch also called the Negative pressure switch. When the stove is turned on
the Exhaust fan will create a negative pressure in the firebox. The control board continually
checks to see if Negative Pressure (vacuum) is present during operation of the Stove. If the
exhaust venting system becomes clogged or obstructed, the firebox door or ash pan door are
left open or the exhaust fan quits working the control board will go into “Safety shutdown”.
There is a 60 second window to allow for cleaning the glass and removing the clinker
before then Stove shuts down. This is sufficient for the Daily Maintenance.

**On my St. Croix, it craps out if the door is open more than 30 seconds.
Once that happens, I have to wait for complete shutdown(no fans blowing) before I can restart.
Use the dollar bill test and check the door the gaskets for leaks.
I also read where the Hastings can be used with a maximum 50% corn and 50% pellets.

i have the manual but it doesnt give any pointers on how to trouble shoot the safety shutdown, any other ideas?

You may need to start the stove on pellets as corn doesn't fire up as fast...

You may very well have a plugged stove... corn burns a lot dirtier than pellets... I'd recommend using a leaf blower to suck the ash out of the stove... the stove has ash traps located above the ashpan on each side... they are small square pieces of sheet metal... pull those off, use a small hammer and lightly tap the back and sides of the firebox... I think you'll see lots of ash falling from those traps. If so you have a plugged stove... likely the reason the stove was put up for sale.

At the very least you need to get that ash out of the stove... use a coathangar, long bottle brush or a small hose taped to you vac hose to get up inside the stove and clean out the ash. The best way is to use a leafblower. A clean stove is a happy stove.

I unhooked the chimney pipe outside and duck taped a shop vac to it and turn it on. went inside and it was sucking the corn out of the burn pot. my does not have a ash trap behind the ash pan? i cleaned the other two on the left and right of the burn pot, have not tryed the hammer yet. any other ideas? thanks

Use the hammer while you have that shop vac hooked up... it won't suck as well as a leafblower (150 MPH) but it will helpp... I'm sure getting that ash out will help... the ash gets jammed in behind the fire box and cuts off the air you need for combustion. The stove doesn't have enough vacuum so it won't run.

shelbysam said:
I unhooked the chimney pipe outside and duck taped a shop vac to it and turn it on. went inside and it was sucking the corn out of the burn pot. my does not have a ash trap behind the ash pan? i cleaned the other two on the left and right of the burn pot, have not tryed the hammer yet. any other ideas? thanks
I have the York, but I was reading the manual on your Hastings and it said:
"The Hastings has 3 Ash Trap cleanouts. 2 are located below the rear brick panel. Remove
covers and clean regularly. Be sure to clean both sides. Use scraper shown
in figure 5 & 6 to scrape ash into ash pan. Use a vacuum (cold stove only) to thoroughly clean
these areas. The other Clean-out is located behind the Ash Pan".
THe pictures in the manual seem to show the hanging metal cleanout doors, like I have on my St. Croix York insert. Are you sure
your missing these?

Used stove that won't fire? I strongly suggest a thorough cleanout
including removing/cleaning both blowers, brush down the heat exchange
tubes, and everything else that has already been mentioned. Have a putty knife at hand
for scraping caked on junk, and a stiff brush for cleaning the fan blades.
I use a wide painters brush on the heat exchange tubes and it works a treat.
Just keep brushing the tubes and between them until no more ash falls.
Keep the shop vac on and inside the firebox to avoid as much mess
as possible.
The manual shows pretty much where the ash traps, ash pan,
baffle, heat tubes, and blowers are located. Unplug the stove and roll your sleeves
up because it will be a dirty job.

shelbysam said:
mnkywrnch said:
shelbysam said:
mnkywrnch

ash pan and door seals are good. where would i check for blockage in the stove? i hook a shop vac on the outside chimney and cleaned it. any other ideas. how will i strart it if corn wont work?[/quote
Krooser and xena gave you great advice,but just to add alittle if you can get the stove outside and have access to compressed air that also works really well in cleaning the baffles and the rest of the stove, as for lighting it you need wood pellets straight corn just wont light,that stove isn't designed to burn straight corn ONLY A MIX.
mnkywrnch

Status
Not open for further replies.