St Croix York insert throwing vacuum fault

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwert

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2008
Northern CT.
Hi Folks. Just installed a used York insert and every time I open the damper I get the #2 light blinking and stove shuts down. I have 2 feet of horizontal pipe into a tee and 6 feet vertical to an elbow and cap. I had another older York hooked up for 4 years with no issue. Stove was torn down and cleaned, motors and all. Chimney was cleaned and leaf blowered yesterday. Vacuum switch was bad and replaced 2 days ago. I had the stove installed for 1/2 a day with no issue, nothing changed since. Could it be a weak exhaust fan? I am stumped. Thanks as always.
Also checked vacuum line for blockage with pipe cleaner, no clog.

wwert said:
Hi Folks. Just installed a used York insert and every time I open the damper I get the #2 light blinking and stove shuts down. I have 2 feet of horizontal pipe into a tee and 6 feet vertical to an elbow and cap. I had another older York hooked up for 4 years with no issue. Stove was torn down and cleaned, motors and all. Chimney was cleaned and leaf blowered yesterday. Vacuum switch was bad and replaced 2 days ago. I had the stove installed for 1/2 a day with no issue, nothing changed since. Could it be a weak exhaust fan? I am stumped. Thanks as always.
Also checked vacuum line for blockage with pipe cleaner, no clog.

Did you check the gaskets?

It could be a failing exhaust fan, test it and see if it starts and reaches full speed quickly.

If it does start up and get to speed quickly you might want to first look for a loose connection in the motors wiring.

Then knowing about the ash hidey hole in the St. Croix stoves that is a pain to get cleaned I'd take another good shot at the area between the combustion blower cavity and the firebox.

That is my first stab at it.

Thanks Smokey,
Checked exhaust fan after cleaning and it ran fine connected direct with zipcord. Replaced gasket on both sides of blower housing. Not sure the york has the hidden ash spot, maybe someone could enlighten me. Forgot to mention I do have an oak attached.

wwert said:
Thanks Smokey,
Checked exhaust fan after cleaning and it ran fine connected direct with zipcord. Replaced gasket on both sides of blower housing. Not sure the york has the hidden ash spot, maybe someone could enlighten me. Forgot to mention I do have an oak attached.

I suspect it has the hidden ash spot if you can attach a leaf blower to your venting it will likely pull the crud out.

On the gaskets I was more concerned with the door gaskets and any that may be in the area you open up to remove an ash pan from.

So I took Smokeys advice and checked the gaskets and they looked fine. I tightened the door latch and the ash pan latch and bingo the problem seems solved. You rock Smokey. Thanks a bunch

ash pan does that every time. Sometimes it even looks like it's in the right position and it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.