Stack cleaning report card today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I'd greatly prefer to round-off the corners of this info, but I'll try to tell the truth.;)

Chimney sweep came today. Long time well established sweep and chimney builder.

Got at least a gallon of creosote (shiny black) out of the 70's smoke breather downstairs.

Got at least a quart of creosote (shiny black) out of the new Jotul upstairs.

Had tough (with some gummy stuff) buildup on the chimney caps.

I'm sure I burned nearly two cords in each stove, 4 cords total. I got screwed with one wet cord delivered last year. I know I'm going to do better this time, but the wood seasoning learning curve seems to be in one-year increments.

This winter I hope to learn how to burn hotter fires. I was finally starting to get the courage and the hang of it last year. I've read of some getting as little as one cup of creosote. Amazing.

yeah, I also learned it's really all about getting a couple of years ahead, having dry wood and burning hot...I learned the hard way...had a chimney fire in traditional fireplace chimney, got an insert with ss liner...I'm cleaning my 6" stove pipe now...burn approx a cord a year of dry wood a year monitoring with moisture meter but will clean every couple of months to eliminate concerns....fire bad...

Reactions: Soundchasm
You have now seen first hand the lore of dry wood and proper burning techniques. Live and learn. Hopefully you take this info and improve on your methods. Burn on brother.

This is a subject area where the deeper you dig the more you uncover. I'll console myself to an extent by imagining that the folks who got it right from day-one are few and far between. :)

As long as nobody delivers me frozen wood again, and I get those stoves scrubbed good an proper once a year, I know I'll be on the good side of things by 14/15 for sure!

. I'll console myself to an extent by imagining that the folks who got it right from day-one are few and far between. :)
That's for sure. :) I feel fortunate that I found this place before I got in too much trouble, but my first year was still kind of spotty.

So how is your wood supply now? Have you measured it with a moisture meter to be sure it's good to go now at 20 - 25%?

T I'll console myself to an extent by imagining that the folks who got it right from day-one are few and far between. :)
Probably the understatement of the day.;)

That's for sure. :) I feel fortunate that I found this place before I got in too much trouble, but my first year was still kind of spotty.

So how is your wood supply now? Have you measured it with a moisture meter to be sure it's good to go now at 20 - 25%?

I had been too scared to check, but now I'm glad you asked me. These pieces are from the top of the stacks, and the measurements are moments after the split. Maybe I'm going to be alright for once!! Woo hoo!

Hackberry - 14%
Cherry - 14%
Silver Maple - 20%
Elm - 20%
Ash - 18%
Osage - 20% (had planned for this to be 14/15)
Hickory - 30% (definitely 14/15)

I'm going to take a personal moment and feel good about this... Ahhh

I'd greatly prefer to round-off the corners of this info, but I'll try to tell the truth.;)

Chimney sweep came today. Long time well established sweep and chimney builder. Got at least a gallon of creosote (shiny black) out of the 70's smoke breather downstairs.

Got at least a quart of creosote (shiny black) out of the new Jotul upstairs. Had tough (with some gummy stuff) buildup on the chimney caps.

I'm sure I burned nearly two cords in each stove, 4 cords total. I got screwed with one wet cord delivered last year. I know I'm going to do better this time, but the wood seasoning learning curve seems to be in one-year increments.

This winter I hope to learn how to burn hotter fires. I was finally starting to get the courage and the hang of it last year. I've read of some getting as little as one cup of creosote. Amazing.

Amazing? I think not. We cleaned our chimney 2 years after installing the Fireview. No creosote at all. That was 4 years ago and we have not cleaned the chimney since. We did however get some ash. Or I should say, my wife got some ash when she removed the cap from the tee. Ash and some soot that had fallen into the tee. Said the chimney brush should stay in the barn as it is not yet needed.

So no, it is not amazing at all.

The biggest key to being happy burning wood is to get the wood long before you need it. Give it time to dry. Come on over to The Wood Shed and many will help on this problem. Many will also be happy to tell you about the 3 year plan and how well it works. As for us, the wood we will be burning this year was cut during the winter of 2008-2009. It was split and stacked in early April of 2009. It burns really sweet....and gives us no creosote. But we also have to give the Woodstock Fireview some of the credit for the clean burning. And yes, there are many of the new stoves that can do the same with good fuel and good burning practices.

Reactions: Soundchasm
You will also discover that the drier the wood the hotter it burns and you will use less. :)

Chimney sweep came today. Long time well established sweep and chimney builder.
Glad to see you are taking the measures to prevent problems, There are alot who let it go till it to late.

I've read of some getting as little as one cup of creosote. Amazing.

Their cup.

upload_2013-10-16_23-0-30.png

Amazing? I think not. We cleaned our chimney 2 years after installing the Fireview. No creosote at all. That was 4 years ago and we have not cleaned the chimney since. We did however get some ash. Or I should say, my wife got some ash when she removed the cap from the tee. Ash and some soot that had fallen into the tee. Said the chimney brush should stay in the barn as it is not yet needed.

So no, it is not amazing at all.

The biggest key to being happy burning wood is to get the wood long before you need it. Give it time to dry. Come on over to The Wood Shed and many will help on this problem. Many will also be happy to tell you about the 3 year plan and how well it works. As for us, the wood we will be burning this year was cut during the winter of 2008-2009. It was split and stacked in early April of 2009. It burns really sweet....and gives us no creosote. But we also have to give the Woodstock Fireview some of the credit for the clean burning. And yes, there are many of the new stoves that can do the same with good fuel and good burning practices.

Dennis, I'll call that pretty remarkable. Thanks to all the reading here I quit buying wood, found it on CL and by poking around, got a moisture meter, an IR temp gun, wood rack and stacking ideas, and the marvelous idea of achieving a huge margin of comfort. I'm getting close.

So those were Folger's crystals that guy scraped out!!?? :eek:

"Tonight, we're secretly replacing the fine coffee they normally serve with rich, dark, sparkling King Creosote's Freeze Dried Crystals. Let's watch..."

Don't ever figure on not cleaning the chimney for four years or ever just getting a cup of soot out of the pipe. Soot happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.