Stack covering material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brant2000

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2011
Somerset, PA
Hopefully avoiding the debate on "to cover, or not to cover", I wanted to find something better than tarps/plastic sheeting to cover stacks. I was thinking about trying out some 24" wide galvanized or even vinyl flashing. I figure they would be much easier to deal with and provide a cleaner appearance. I was thinking then I can just roll it back and clip the roll, as I consume each row. Has anyone ever tried flashing material for this?

I have rolls of that vinyl flashing. Never considered it for woodrack covering. I use large sheets of galvanized roofing.
My father was a structural steel contractor and putting up large commercial buildings was in the scope of his normal business.
I have, for free, within my reach all the scrap metal sheeting I could ever use. Its free and its just sitting there.
Flashing I had to pay for. If I had to go out and buy. I would probably buy the materials to build a shed.
The problem in NY is property assessing and bulding permits. Cant have it look too nice. Have to work on a happy medium between permanent structure and something that actually keeps your wood dry.
But anything that works is good for you.
Go for it!!!
And take lots of pics!!

I scored 3x8 or so pieces of used corrugated roofing for about 8 bucks a sheet off of craigslist. Enough to cover 1 year woodshed + 3 years stacks. Also used some free ratty tar paper that lasted 2 years before I got set up.

I haven't found anything better than rubber roofing yet. That stuff is the balls.

I think either metal or rubber roofing would be much better than tarps, and around here you can find either for free with a little effort. I guess flashing would be okay but I would not buy it just to cover wood.

Rubber ballast type roofing, .045 gauge. Carlisle Syntec is a manufacturer of this roofing and it's probably not hard to find a dealer. Luckily there's a plant here around me that will sell off some of their scraps. EPDM roofing will work wonders. And you can patch it provided you put a hole in it.

I haven't found anything better than rubber roofing yet. That stuff is the balls.

How much crap do you have to throw on it to keep the wind from...... I use "barn metal" but it sure takes a LOT of crap to keep it on the stacks! Also a pita to deal with when retrieving wood from the stack.

How much crap do you have to throw on it to keep the wind from...... I use "barn metal" but it sure takes a LOT of crap to keep it on the stacks! Also a pita to deal with when retrieving wood from the stack.

The EPDM rubber roofing/pond liner is really heavy stuff. I have never found anything better for covering stacks. In high wind a few splits on top of it and it never moves. After I built the shed I used the EPDM from the stacks to roof the shed.

Only thing about pond liner is it's typically a fee more bucks since it's "safer" for stock. Something about the dustbox in manufacturing.

old vinyl signs - recycled

Reactions: Brewmonster
Road signs from the interstate would probably work quite well - if you are from Louisiana

I buy 6 mil black vinyl from big box stores. Not cheap, but I've found stapling the sides down a foot or so seems to hold. I have splits on it now too, but I think next time I will do staples only.

I buy 6 mil black vinyl from big box stores. Not cheap, but I've found stapling the sides down a foot or so seems to hold. I have splits on it now too, but I think next time I will do staples only.

This works for me, lasts several years even in full sunlight. Nothing on top of it either.

I use those silo bags. I get them from our municipal garage, after they are done with them they throw them away usually. They are huge and thick so you can cut them to whatever size you need and they last a long time. Im still using mine after 8 yrs. Run some boards on the top of your stacks so the water cant pool up, throw a few bricks up there and you're good to go.

Attachments

• silo bag.jpeg
    silo bag.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 156
I use a roll of commercial roofing material (called TPO - ThermoPlastic Olefin, that I was able to procure for free :))and put uglies or concrete blocks on top to keep the wind from blowing it. Well I did, until I built my wood sheds this month. I have 6 pallets of wood stacked 5 feet high and covered like this, all new wood is going in the shed. This stuff is heavy enough that it doesn't take a ton of weight to hold it down even in howling wind, and I have pieces I have been using for 4 years with no sign of age whatsoever.

Much better than tarps. 60 mils thick and I figure it will last for years and years.

Something easier to find that you might consider is EPDM rubber roofing membranes.

It depends upon where the stacks are and how strong the winds. You can throw some uglies on top or even some good wood. You can also drill a few holes and screw it down to the wood itself. Another good way is to use cement blocks. A rope or cable tied to a block and over top the wood pile and tied onto another block works really well.

Getting wood for winter.JPG

Another way that is cheap and easy (most times) is simply let Mother Nature dump some heavy wet snow on the top. That will keep it in place.
Christmas-2008d.JPG

So what about when you are retrieving the wood? We find that to be no problem. If you take only part of the pile, we simply prop up the roofing with some short sticks and then put a wood block on top to hold that part down. Never had a problem when doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.