Stack temp vs. Stove top temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgp602

Jan 7, 2006
Hi, I am new here. I have a Regency I2400 Medium fireplace insert (wood burning of course)! with a Stainless steel flex liner ( one piece) connected. I have a question about the stove top temp vs. the temp of the liner. Is there a general rule of thumb regarding the temperature differences? I mean, if my stove top is 500 degrees what is the temp of the liner? 300 degrees? I have a homesaver magnetic thermometer on the top of the stove and I usually keep it around 500 degrees. I would like to know if this is hot enough. I am guessing that the liner is around 200 degrees cooler.. Is this a safe assumption? Thanks

Hard to say. This is going to vary from stove to stove and how far from the stove one measures the temp. On our last two stoves the stovetop temp and the stack *surface* temp, measured at about 3ft. above the stove, are quite close.; usually within 50 deg. The higher one goes up the stack, the cooler the measurement. I would follow Regency's recommendations, but 500 sounds pretty normal.

Regency's owners manual doesn't say how hot to run it. It just says to build hot fires rather than large smoldering ones. It also says that if the stove body glows red to close the draft rod and stop feeding it fuel ( no brainer)! I have about a 17-18ft run of liner by the way.

For whatever it's worth... I bought a stack thermometer (magnetic) that's labelled "Creosote" for temperatures under about 250, "Too Hot" for temperatures above 500.

The manual for my stove (Jotul) shows placing a thermometer on top of the stove itself and recommends running the stove between 400 and 600 deg F.

I'm theorizing that if I can run my stove up to 600, and a stack thermometer is labelled such that temps above 500 are too high in the stack, that maybe there's a difference of 100 deg F between stove and stack?!?!

can't tell you the difference you should get but i would say every stove will be different. also placement of the thermometer on the stove and stack will matter also in my experience the stove and stack will be a quite different depending on when you look at it, like if you start your stove using the top down method of starting the stack will be alot higher than the stove. last night i started my stove using the top down burn. when the kindling got going and involved some of the splits the chimney was at 650 and the stove was at 300. then as time go's on it will switch. towards the end of the burn the stove will be very hot with alot of coals but the chimney will be on the way down. this is just my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.