Stack temperature meter with alarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Does anyone have a digital stack temperature meter with a user settable alarm? I found the Hays Cleveland MODEL D-06120, but wonder if there are others and if so, where to buy?

Would be handy.

I got home late last night, was coldish in the house. Threw some wood in the stove and opened the air control all the way so it would catch. Sat on the couch and clicked on the TV. Next thing I know I wake up to smell of hot metal and it's almost 90* in the house. Whoops!

I got several good suggestions for PID temperature controllers which can be used to control lots of functions including a simple alarm circuit. A special thanks to ewdudley and weiland13 for the suggestions.

Search ebay "temperature controller" and you will find many available with alarm and other features as well.

Just as an example, this one looks like it would do the trick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PID-Digital...ment_Tools&hash=item4aab1b4ada#ht_5274wt_1142

These types of controller show up well with an ebay search for 'pid temperature controller'. As jebatty points out they have the PID control feature which you may or may not need, but they all seem to have and alarm relay contact for turning something on if the temperature is high or low. However if you need to run a big bell or a small motor you need another relay to carry the load.

Some come with a K-type thermocouple included, which is suitable for boiler stack temperature sensing.

Some come with dual display, some with single display, some with SSR and alarm relay outputs, some don't have NC alarm outputs, and on and on.

You can get one shipped from the US for more money, but you'll get it a lot faster.

I think I would like one of these controllers, can anyone think of a way to set this up as to send me a notification on my cell phone? I have a spare CPU - could the relay somehow tell the cpu to send me an e-mail to my smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.