Stack temps at start and exit of chimney???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Just curious: has anybody ever compared stack temps on various chimney setups?? Measure gas temps in stove pipe and compare to the exit temps at the top of a chimney for various setups? I know there are several factors but considering chimneys are well insulated, I presume heat loss during the travel would be fairly minimal even in the coldest weather or if you have 2 X 45s to get to the chimney or if it's straight to the top.

Thanks...

ANdrew

Oddly enough I just did this today. 485ºF in the pipe, ~300º at the cap. About 19' total of pipe, double-wall connector to classA with about 7 ft exposed outdoors. Outside temp was 43ºF. There are a pair of 45's at the stove for an offset, then straight up.

Yea, me too. My neighbors must think I'm nuts standing on my roof in a snow storm measuring chimney temps and air flow. I've used the method in this old article to estimated efficiency of the stove. It provides a bench mark to see the effect of changes made. Recently I fabricated and added on a catalytic combustor to an older stove. Checking the results today.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kQ...esnum=2&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=measuring wood stove efficiency&f=false

(You'll probably have to cut and paste the link into you're browser to get it to work. Can't seem to get the whole thing to show up as a link.)

I have tried in the past to figure ours out. I do know when I had the barometric damper installed on our flue, the top of the chimney read 85*. That was a hot fire with a 32' exterior masonry chimney with a 5.5" rigid liner insulated with vermiculite. At the furnace was around 200* external. Since I have now eliminated the baro, I could hold my hand in the top for a few seconds but thats it, I didnt have the IR that time. It made quite a difference. We have a run of about 40' from our furnace to the top of the chimney with 3 90's. Its rare to see our flue temps go above 250* externally. I'm not positive but I think the reason why we see vapor most of the time is the lower flue temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.