stack temps to help maintain clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
What are the temps you encounter on a probe thermometer upon reload or start up. I find my flue temp would be well above operating temps before the stove top is up to temp. Therefore I reduce air before up to top temp. Just curious what internal pipe temps you guys use as guidelines.

I don't have a probe, just a stove top and I keep it around 450-500F for a nice clean burn. I used to worry about stack temps but now I just keep it around that temp on the stove top, when it gets to around 350F I fill it up again, char the wood, and shut it down. Also just look outside, no smoke coming out the chimney, no smokey smell, and you are burning perfectly. Of course you are going to have a little smoke during start up and reloading but other than that if you are burn right you should just see "heat waves". I think most guys just go by those rules and are fine. Many don't even use a thermometer and burn well too. :)

I am sure some guys will chime in that have probes so answers will come soon....

If you have good seasoned wood, clean glass and firebox(no black or sticky buildup in firebox that is) your chimney should be OK for the this years burn.

devinsdad said:
What are the temps you encounter on a probe thermometer upon reload or start up. I find my flue temp would be well above operating temps before the stove top is up to temp. Therefore I reduce air before up to top temp. Just curious what internal pipe temps you guys use as guidelines.

Well the temp on a start up is pretty much zero since there is no fire in the firebox . . . temp in the flue when I'm reloading depends . . . generally it's below 400 degrees (probe thermometer) . . . however while I am a big advocate of thermometers to tell the truth I go more by the state of the coals in the firebox when I reload vs. the temp in the flue. I then keep the air open until the flue temp is well above the 400 degree mark and then start to close off the air.

My pipe shows it fall to 350 on load up, but that's just for a few minutes. Then I fire it back up and the secondary burn kicks back in. My temp gage shows 350 being my lowest point for good burn. Not sure what other temp items show is a good burn temp ?

By the way mine is EPA Regency F2400. I have to bring the infrared home to see the stove's top temp. Keep forgetting :)

Also not a probe, it's magnetic so I'm sure it's a little bit hotter ? +/- 25 I would assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.