Stack vista 640

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverblade

Apr 4, 2011
New Zealand
Hi
I have just moved into a new house that has a Stack Vista 640 fire as the only form of heating. For some reason, I can't get it to go for long... I can only get it to go by leaving the fire door slightly ajar. If I close the door, the fire appears to suffocate and go out... I had a look on your forums and found the top baffle was upside down - this I have rectified but with no improvement. Is there any plans/diagrams that show how the airflow works?

Cheers

Greetings Silverblade. The first thing to check is the flue. You need to be sure it is not plugged with creosote, bird nesting, etc.. Check the flue cap too. The second thing to check is the wood. Try starting a fire with carpentry scraps for kindling and see if it starts up well. If so, the primary wood could be unseasoned or too damp for burning.

If you can post some pictures of the installation we may be able to offer some more tips.

Thanks for your reply, I have checked/cleaned the flu - it was/is really clean, the cap was quite low so have raised it as high as I can. If I have the fire door open I can burn all my wood quite happily. However, even with kiln dried 4x2, once I shut the door (with the damper full open) the fire dies right down. The best I have managed to do is get the fire roaring with the door just open using the kiln dried 4x2 for around half an hour before closing the door. I can burn normal wood if I surround it with the 4x2. I have taken photo's and will try to post them here too. I would be quite keen to find a air flow diagram for the burner so I can see if its being blocked somewhere...

Attachments

• Brand.jpg
    Brand.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 791
  • Front of Fire.jpg
    Front of Fire.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 589
  • Baffle and Wet back.jpg
    Baffle and Wet back.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 500
It would be helpful to know more about the flue on the stove. How tall is the flue as measured from the stove body to the cap? What diameter pipe? Are there any elbows involved?

Hi there!

The flu is approximately 4.6m from the top of the stove to the top of the flu - will measure more accurately if required. The flu is 150mm dia and there are no elbows.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.