Stacked and covered, for now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
A little over 6 cords. Another cord waiting to be cut to size and split.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 210
Why did you cover them? Usually in the summer...covers come off..
I top cover as soon as they are stacked and leave it on till the stack is gone. But i only top cover not like the op has done.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Let it rain...The wood could use a nice washing...:)
In my experience wood dries much faster when it is kept dry. But you should only cover the top so you don't interfere with the air flow in the stacks.

Reactions: Seanm
I know that wind is more effective than sun, but for a week with expecting rains coming in, it won't hurt.
No not at all As long as you pull it when the weather changes you should be fine. I was just commenting on the other poster saying it was better to leave uncovered.

To the OP ... getting it done, nice job !!!

Lift the sides of the tarps to allow air flow to be better, and you are golden :)

The sides of my top covered stacks get hit with rain during our frequent thunder storms and dry out very fast with wind and sun. I do find though that I will drop the sides of my tarps down when we get into late fall when evaporation tends to be less and near freezing rains seem to keep the ends damp for longer periods. They go back up when clearer weather comes so that winter evaporation can continue. Nice to have that amount of wood! Nice accomplishment.

4cdae8550ec7e640321a6072c9ebac12.jpg

Got my six stacked too! I use the shed to cover. Stays dry all summer long.

Makes you feel warm just looking at it. good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.