Stacked wood, shoreline.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Curious what you all thought about wood stacked in a location near shoreline. I have heard that corrosion can occur along shoreline due to airborne salt from sea spray. Seems to make sense. Would you anticipate that stacked wood would pick up salt in this way and then be an issue when put in stove? Location I am thinking of is about a quarter to half mile from beach.

I'm thinking the best bet would be to look around the area and try to find houses that have cedar shake siding, If they have the typical gray salt stain look then you will know. Also the wood isn't going to be there for more than 3 years so it may only be a very limited absorption.

A mile in should be fine. We are 1/4 mile from salt water in Puget Sound with no issues. It might be a little worse if your location is downwind from heavy ocean surf and the prevailing winds blow across your property.

rain would likely dilute occasional salt spray or fog deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.