Stacking bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow I was going to start bringing my pellet stash that is currently in my driveway to the inside my basement......plan is to stack them against an interior wall and place a heavy duty tarp I have on the bottom so they don't directly touch the concrete floor.....this should be ok, right? Any suggestions?

i prefer to actually have them on pallets. imo your bottom bags could easily get moisture sitting on a tarp directly on the floor.
if they were delivered on pallets, there's a good chance there are also either plastic or cardboard pallet covers that they sit on.

if you are unloading your very first pallet, you can use a board/plywood with scabs/runners under it so you can unload the first bags onto that and free up the pallet they are on.

if the pallets are too wide for the space you want to use, you can cut them to size.

001-3_zps641f1acd.jpg

Last edited:
i prefer to actually have them on pallets. imo your bottom bags could easily get moisture sitting on a tarp directly on the floor.
if they were delivered on pallets, there's a good chance there are also either plastic or cardboard pallet covers that they sit on.

if you are unloading your very first pallet, you can use a board/plywood with scabs/runners under it so you can unload the first bags onto that and free up the pallet they are on.

if the pallets are too wide for the space you want to use, you can cut them to size.

I also stack mine on pallets so air can circulate under the pellet sacks instead of the damp concrete. Never had a problem with the pellets. Some have been stored that way for over a year.

yup.. Use old pallets, cut if needed or pieces of wood to get the bags off the floor..

my basement stays bone dry. a pallet won't fit where I store. I have them rest on the floor no issue.
so its really about how dry your basement actually is.

^yes. but a floor can also be dry when exposed to air and ambient heat and not so when covered..
obviously you have tested this out in your situation.
but it still would not be advisable to assume that a floor that is dry when uncovered will not cause dampness/condensation issues if covered.
especially when long term storage is the issue.

I store my pellets outside, under a covered deck. I put then on pallets also, with no problems.

The first time I stacked pallets, I got the original pallet from a local hardware store that has a pile of free pallets in their parking lot. Now, I have a lot of extra pallets.
I also have a conventional wood stove, I stack my cord wood on my extra pellet pallets.

Dave

I burn 4 tons a year. I stack all 4 tons on (2) full pallets, and (1) 1/2 pallet in my basement. When stacking on the full pallets, I use a 6 block pattern. Small amount of overhang, and have yet to tear a bag when walking or wheeling my cart by them.

Pallets fo sho.

On pallets for sure, ya never know when a pipe will break etc. I rather clean up water than mess with water logged pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.