Stacking disapointment with new pic updated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
shouldntbesocomplicated said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Get that wife a saw! If she wants to cut there is not good reason to not let her, even if she only does some limbing and cutting up of those limbs. I agree on the little one out in the woods. A teenager can also be a problem many times because their minds can still wander a lot; not a good thing when doing something like this. I almost crapped one day when one of our sons was learning the saw and almost cut his leg off! Thankfully, it turned out okay.

There is no reason you cannot enjoy doing this work for a long time. I started getting involved with it when I was about age 6. Now I have grandchildren and my youngest one just turned 20. (How did that happen so fast?) But I still enjoy the work and look forward to it every year. I also enjoyed splitting until an injury put a stop to that but now enjoy splitting with hydraulics. Point is, I still enjoy putting up the wood and really enjoy the heat it gives us every year.

Yes a saw is on the wish list for the wife, wanted to let her have the 455 and step up to a bigger saw for me that i could mill with but I still have not cut the tree with the money growing on it so maybe a husky 235 for her .She said she wants no part of felling probly better for me that way if she got the rush I do dropping them I would be the buck boy .I am sure hydraulics will be in my future but got a lot done this winter that got split that I couldnt drag a splitter out to with the snow .Grandpa here too, strange when one of your kids is younger than one of your grandchildren.

Perhaps I misled you on this. The son who almost cut his leg off is also the father of my 20 year old grandchild. Or in other words, it happened many moons ago.

Well those moons seem to change faster every year dont they. I had a mishap with the saw last year wich promted a set of chaps 25 years without a bite,then you see that it only takes a second .Like many loggers say its not if it happens but when , I am a believer now.

Sorry, but I have always disliked that type of a statement. It is what I call being positive about the negative. It is nothing but downright wrong to think that way. Just because some bad things have happened to some folks does not mean it will happen to you. After all, we could say the same thing about driving or riding in a car; not if but when. No sir. Just because it happened to some other folks does not mean I have to get killed while riding or driving a car. In the end, it is nothing but negative thinking and negative talking. I'll try to keep it positive, thank you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry, but I have always disliked that type of a statement. It is what I call being positive about the negative. It is nothing but downright wrong to think that way. Just because some bad things have happened to some folks does not mean it will happen to you. After all, we could say the same thing about driving or riding in a car; not if but when. No sir. Just because it happened to some other folks does not mean I have to get killed while riding or driving a car. In the end, it is nothing but negative thinking and negative talking. I'll try to keep it positive, thank you.

Sorry if I hit a nerve there ,I do think positive and take the negative with a grain of salt some things maybe a bit to lite just ask some of my doctors .But it was enuff for me to add some PPE to make it safer .

No, you really did not hit a nerve but this is something that I have taught and have trouble understanding why people get so positive about the negative yet will resist the positive. So I wasn't hitting at you, just voicing an observation. It is just as easy to be positive as it is to be negative but some folks seem to have difficulty doing it! Adding protection is not being negative at all; just that one little statement that some poor sole was living with.

I also recall some fellow got on this forum one time and he seemed to be sort of a know-it-all. Some of his ideas were a bit, well, wrong. Then he made the positive statement that it was not a case of if you might have a chimney fire but when you will have it. He stated there are only 2 types of wood burners: those who have had a chimney fire and those who will have one. Yes, I sort of tore into him on that point. I, for one do not plan on having a chimney fire and see no need to think I might have one. Preventive maintenance is a positive thing and something we practice. It is sort of like changing the oil in the car. Preventive. We've burned wood over 50 years now and I have never experienced a chimney fire and did not appreciate his attitude. Sad, but he left the forum... Fortunately we've been able to have good people on this forum and I hope it stays that way.

Now take care of your health! And Keep Smiling!

Backwoods Savage said:
No, you really did not hit a nerve but this is something that I have taught and have trouble understanding why people get so positive about the negative yet will resist the positive. So I wasn't hitting at you, just voicing an observation. It is just as easy to be positive as it is to be negative but some folks seem to have difficulty doing it! Adding protection is not being negative at all; just that one little statement that some poor sole was living with.

I also recall some fellow got on this forum one time and he seemed to be sort of a know-it-all. Some of his ideas were a bit, well, wrong. Then he made the positive statement that it was not a case of if you might have a chimney fire but when you will have it. He stated there are only 2 types of wood burners: those who have had a chimney fire and those who will have one. Yes, I sort of tore into him on that point. I, for one do not plan on having a chimney fire and see no need to think I might have one. Preventive maintenance is a positive thing and something we practice. It is sort of like changing the oil in the car. Preventive. We've burned wood over 50 years now and I have never experienced a chimney fire and did not appreciate his attitude. Sad, but he left the forum... Fortunately we've been able to have good people on this forum and I hope it stays that way.

Now take care of your health! And Keep Smiling!

Ok I feel better now, just had heard that many times from many loggers that frequented a store I worked in just stuck with me.As for the wood burner thing yes I have had many chimny fires with my old Tempwood , for lots of reasons that could have been prevented green wood and smoldering fires , or lack of fire stove was too much for the space so tryed to compensate have learned a lot since then. Hotter smaller fire what a concept .Maybe if the internet was or this site was around then it wouldnt have been.Yes I take care of the health I too am paying for my past ,learned after my first round of skin cancer not to wait and get it dealt with soon I have several spots cut off a year and regular checkups. Just another wood cutting limitation no or limited cutting in the sun,and long sleeves year round .If I can help a few to be sun smart and not pay as I have its worth it.

Yes, life can be tough at times. But somehow we must try to make something positive of it. For example, now you know of the dangers of too much sun and are doing something about it and will also teach your family well. My wife suffers from the sun thing; redheads are cursed with that. In fact I lost a brother because of that very same thing. That was a blow.

I also lost 2 friends in the logging business. Freak accidents for sure but they are no longer with us. Did I let that affect me or my thinking? No. Yes, I am careful out there but I'm not going to think negative about the business because of that sad fact. At least I know they both loved the work and died doing something they enjoyed. I'd rather it had not happened, but it did and we have to accept it but not let it affect our thinking unless it to be a bit more careful out there. In doing so, we will be better people for it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, life can be tough at times. But somehow we must try to make something positive of it. For example, now you know of the dangers of too much sun and are doing something about it and will also teach your family well. My wife suffers from the sun thing; redheads are cursed with that. In fact I lost a brother because of that very same thing. That was a blow.

I also lost 2 friends in the logging business. Freak accidents for sure but they are no longer with us. Did I let that affect me or my thinking? No. Yes, I am careful out there but I'm not going to think negative about the business because of that sad fact. At least I know they both loved the work and died doing something they enjoyed. I'd rather it had not happened, but it did and we have to accept it but not let it affect our thinking unless it to be a bit more careful out there. In doing so, we will be better people for it.

(redheads are cursed ), if you only knew lol, now its more gray than red but I still have all that goes with it ,like that firey quick temper lol,I try to be as safe as I can cuz you know I cant wait to be a burden to my children to get even ,lol

:lol: Sock it to them!

Yup. We have that covered too. lol Now I'm going to bed. Have a nice Easter!

Backwoods Savage said:
Yup. We have that covered too. lol Now I'm going to bed. Have a nice Easter!
Thank you , you do the same , I hope its a cutting splitting kinda easter for me

Remkel said:
What I would do to have a space like that to work in- I only have 1.3 acres, and it is all on a slope- no level stacking place to be found. Also, not a whole lot of room to get ahead for next year, but I will find a way.

Keep on doing what you are doing- looks great from down here!
Thank you
Dont worry all 6 plus acres I have are sloped ,ditched and pitched .I restack the stacks at least 2-3 times a year .This is my latest try between trees to see if it works
but after being out there today with 40 mph winds and trees bowing back and forth the idea dont look so good.

I stack between trees every year- just keep an eye on the stacks- one year I ended up putting some plywood with braces to hold the center of the stack. Trying to figure out how i can make a flat area- saw a post by someone here recently who made an area out of pressure treated and stone- liked that idea. We shall see.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ya, I never liked stacking between trees. Wind like that can be tough on trees with wood stacked against them. Building good ends is not that difficult either.

Had to rebuild too many ends in my day- swore I would not do it again!

Remkel said:
Remkel said:
What I would do to have a space like that to work in- I only have 1.3 acres, and it is all on a slope- no level stacking place to be found. Also, not a whole lot of room to get ahead for next year, but I will find a way.

Thank you
Dont worry all 6 plus acres I have are sloped ,ditched and pitched .I restack the stacks at least 2-3 times a year .This is my latest try between trees to see if it works
but after being out there today with 40 mph winds and trees bowing back and forth the idea dont look so good.

I stack between trees every year- just keep an eye on the stacks- one year I ended up putting some plywood with braces to hold the center of the stack. Trying to figure out how i can make a flat area- saw a post by someone here recently who made an area out of pressure treated and stone- liked that idea. We shall see.

Yes i saw that post it was one of my ideas if I ever cut down the money tree, so I could aford to doze the area and the stone .As you cansee the low budget way is still in .Another idea was to cut some of my cedar and have 4x4s milled out of them and make racks, but need that money tree for the mill and bigger saw.

Remkel said:
Remkel said:

Thank you

Yes i saw that post it was one of my ideas if I ever cut down the money tree, so I could aford to doze the area and the stone .As you cansee the low budget way is still in .Another idea was to cut some of my cedar and have 4x4s milled out of them and make racks, but need that money tree for the mill and bigger saw.

My brother built his own alaskan mill- the saw he purchased. Yeah, money tree is dying here too- between the new stove, liner and now the two cord of wood, I have reached my money spend maximum for, oh, 30 years :)

On the stacking wood on unlevel ground. Why not cut some 8' logs (or whatever length you want) of different sizes? Maybe you could put down, say, a 4" log and then maybe a 10" log to level out the stack. Then a 4' stack would seem high but 4' is a good height for firewood.

Backwoods Savage said:
On the stacking wood on unlevel ground. Why not cut some 8' logs (or whatever length you want) of different sizes? Maybe you could put down, say, a 4" log and then maybe a 10" log to level out the stack. Then a 4' stack would seem high but 4' is a good height for firewood.

Maybe its the greed factor I cant cut something down with out bucking and splitting always want to get ahead but may sacrifice some cedar soon .This will be the first year I dont stack in the lawn so a learning curve of trial and error ,(hope less on the error ).

Ok now that snow is gone I keep finding more piles out there but also all the limbs are showing up to yuck guessing this years is done but need to gather it all up and stack

Attachments

• stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 115
Backwoods Savage said:

Maybe its the greed factor I cant cut something down with out bucking and splitting always want to get ahead but may sacrifice some cedar soon .This will be the first year I dont stack in the lawn so a learning curve of trial and error ,(hope less on the error ).

I much prefer trial and success.

Backwoods Savage said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I much prefer trial and success.

Keep this between you and me but that second stack has already fallen and been restacked. Oops did I post that lol

Well, some days go like that. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, some days go like that. lol

I hate to say it but I have lots of those days ,what doesnt kill you makes you stronger,or god only gives you what you can handle guess he thinks I can handle a lot .

Status
Not open for further replies.