Stacking for Dummies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Any suggestions on stacking on pallets?

The chipmunks in my yard are on the pile, which in turn gets the dogs pawing at the pile, which in turn means i get to restack the tipped over pile about once a week.

Space is definitely an issue-small yard. I like the wiki article with the poly rope, but don't think that would work due to space limitations, and the back yard looks like hell with thrown piles.. I got chicken wire fence to keep the dogs away, so i'll know shortly if it is them, or my stacking technique.

Woodbutcher has a really nice pic in the photo area- what's the secret?

Mothballs

Keeps the Chipmunks away and thus, the dogs as well.
Alternating the stacking (criss-cross the layers) helps with stability as well a longer splits.

Stand them on end. You could also stack them like a brick wall, staggering the "joints".

get rid of the chipmunks. i know they're cute but eventually they might find their way into your house. we watched them for years and thought they were cute, until one day my wife found one in the basement. tunnelled in under the porch. 17 down and counting.

I too say that the chipmunks and dogs are the problem - as with enough "help" any stack will collapse. My problem at first was that I didn't stack like a pyramid using same sized splits in each row working my way to the top. In addition, I began to stack each piece almost individually like puzzle pieces. Time comsuming yes, but rebuilding your pile is worse. I had three collapses before I thought "hmmm, I must not be doing something right..." I know what you're thinking "stubborn idiot!"

Thanks for the tips-

sprinkled mothballs all around the stack today, even under the pallet. Hope it works.

Stacking crisscross is the key. Longer splits helps a lot also. keep your best and longest splits for the corners, and your smaller odd shapes for the middle. Another key is to NOT try to make the pile as dense as possible. You want the wood to dry and air out, not pile as much as possible in one spot. If you need to go higher. Another idea is to use 4 pallets in one place and do a holtzhauzen. The coriolis effect will cause the dogs to levitate thus keeping them away from your piles. :)

I also keep traps near the or inside the piles. I use rat traps with peanut butter. Then ya get to toss the dead critters in creative places. :coolsmirk: (insert evil laugh)

One way to make really stable stacks, even if you are a sloppy stacker ;) is to make them in sets of 2 with about 10 inches between them. Cut some sticks roughly 2 inch diameter that are long enough to go across both stacks. Put one of these long pieces in every 2 or 3 feet horizontally and every foot or two vertically, that ties the two stacks into one but still lets air get between them.

Andre, that is a really good idea. Never heard that before. I'm putting it on my list for next stacking season!

Here's how I stack on pallets: I nail one up vertical at each end, then brace it with a scrap 2x4 or similar. These are 40x48" pallets, so this stack is 48x48x160, I have two rows of logs with a decent air gap between. I also did something like Andre has suggested, placing longer logs across here and there. This stack is extremely stable, as the weight of the wood wedges the ends tight and the logs are mostly 18-24" long, larger at the bottom. Would be less stable laterally with 14" logs, certainly. I'm not concerned so much with airflow (although it will get plenty in that location) because I probably won't burn that wood for 5 years or more (seasonal house, and lots of other piles).

Attachments

• palletstack.jpg
    palletstack.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 390
babalu87 said:
Mothballs

Keeps the Chipmunks away and thus, the dogs as well.
Alternating the stacking (criss-cross the layers) helps with stability as well a longer splits.

Don't let your domestic animals ingest mothballs, they are poisonous to your dogs and cats as well.

Can't beat northern tool wood racks.

HarryBack said:
How many moths had to die to harvest what you needed for your woodpile?

Ok HB, what's the best way to clean beer out of a keyboard and off of my desk and monitor?

I would say a good scope for the pellet gun and those chipmunks don't stand a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.