stacking for years out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
ive got 2 years stacked at the house...and another in the woods...was talking to farmer today..whos land i cut on....and he took me to a spot in his field that was nice and flat, and told me to start stacking there if i wanted...awesome.., but since this wood wont be used for years to come can i get by with stacking without space between rows?...im gonna cut alot of wood, but im gonna need to...ill be cutting for me, the farmer, and a 86 year old lady who lives near by.......the farmer will help out with his tractor and splitter some..but ill be doing alot of hand splitting as well, because i enjoy it.

I'd think that leaving space will slow the wood turning to punk - more room to breathe and let the moisture escape. If you aren't covering the tops, I'd definitely not stack tight for the long haul - tried it myself and didn't work out too well! Cheers!

i see no problem with double stacking wood. although oak i think its good to leave a space. it just takes so long to dry.

I would leave PLENTY of space. Just stack 2 deep on the pallets to give ~12" of space. If it can't get good airflow and stays damp it won't last very long before it starts to rot.

I wouldn't stack that close together especially if stacking green. My heap is about 2/3 that dense on a very windy well drained site and it isn't perfect. I've thought about windrowing. Maybe three pallet rows wide and 10' high. Better airflow and about the same amount of wood in the same space as stacking tight.

I'm going to be stacking my latest drop in the woods because that's where I bucked up the tree and the tree conveniently fell near the intersection of two paths, so I can pull my splitter up there and get to work. I'll stack on pallets in the opening there but I'll only go two rows on each pallet to give me about a foot between the rows. This is post oak.
I won't need it for at least four years.

if i double stack my wood i always space after the double row leaving a air space on each side.

Status
Not open for further replies.