Stacking idea's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the most used?
If I do a t-pee looking pile with the new wood on the bottom. and older on the top, can I poly the pile over the winter?
Will not be burning this this year !
Sean

Double rows of wood, outside all summer for seasoning.
Then to the woodshed to replaced what was used the previous season.

What is the most used?
If I do a t-pee looking pile with the new wood on the bottom. and older on the top, can I poly the pile over the winter?
Will not be burning this this year !
Sean

Yup. You can but stacking in rows is easier and takes less room.

Wood-2009a.JPG

Yup. You can but stacking in rows is easier and takes less room.

View attachment 75586

+1 to what Dennis said. I stack my wood with the oldest on one end, so each year I pull from either the back or the front. My oldest stacks have been c/s/s for 3 years. But there are many different ways to arrange it. Just make sure you can get to your oldest/driest while still adding newly split wood somewhere else.

Never seen a Tee-Pee? But rows seem to be what majority uses?

I have single stacks up behind the garage and a large storage area back by my Barn. Where there 3 wide and almost 1' ft apart.

Is it a Tee-Pee or a Holz Hausen (spelling?)? That your referring to?

2012-09-30_10-02-04_527.jpg 2012-09-30_09-43-25_82.jpg 2012-09-30_09-43-56_370.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
I'll try to get a better pic today.
It looks some thing like this.
4683277273_024151fc83.jpg

Sean

Holy chit! You've got some stacking to do! I've got 25 cord, split-stacked-seasoning........stacking not only makes it look nicer, but allows it to season alot better.

Those are some awesome looking piles...Lots of stacking to do.....@ PapaDave thats hilarious!

Lol teepee? We call that a pile around here and if you don't stack it soon it's going to be a compost pile in the bottom. Try to at least get some of it stacked and top covered, don't cover those heaps with poly it will trap all the moisture in and block the wind out. Good work on getting a lot of wood but don't let your hard work go to waste.

Yeah. Thats no Tee-pee. Thats a pile. Will not season very well. Also, make sure the wood is not in contact with the ground. Lay on skids, boards, landscaping timbers, etc.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Holz Miete . . . and double stacked rows on pallets. Season outside for 1-2 seasons. Place in woodshed for 1 season. Burn in Year 3 (sometimes Year 4) for some primo fuel.

Reactions: scotvl
Just seeing if you guys are on the ball or not!
Ya there just a pile, not even mine!
So if I make some racks out of 2x8's 12" apart,set on pavers- that should work , ?
Why two rows?
I already have 4 stacks for this season!
Sean

Here is what I'll use!
Woodrack001jpg-1.jpg

Woodrack002jpg-1.jpg

Woodrack004jpg-1.jpg

What do you think!
Sean

I would add a board to the top. Its gonna keep them from bowing out. My stacks all have plastic on them, but if you look in my pics above, you can see how straight the tops are (stacks with black plastic on top/8 single rows). I ran a small piece between the end uprights and then a 12' 2x4 from upright to upright.

Those look awesome and will help the wood season much better than in a "Pile/Tee-Pee". LOL

shucks dexter, talk about some precision piles....i don't think one stick is out of place or not flush with the rest of the pile. nice job.
sean, that must cost almost as much as a cord or wood....but it will last and keep it up off the ground. now that i think about it, i might have some old decking i could use.

cass

Reactions: DexterDay
sean, that must cost almost as much as a cord or wood....but it will last and keep it up off the ground. now that i think about it, i might have some old decking i could use.cass
Home crappo had 2x8x10 for $12+/- and 2x4x10 for $5 all Pressure treated!
So lets see 2 racks = 5@$12 = $60 add the 2x4's @ $5 each = $70 +/- easy to stack with the uprights!
OR 6x6x8 for $20 +/-
2 Racks 4@$20 = $80
Note only 8'

Forgot some 3/8 galvy lags and washers !
Not much diff?
So why not!
Sean

Wow I feel pretty inadequate now! I just stack on longer thinner logs to keep the wood off the ground. I'm too lazy/cheap to put together racks like that! Looks good but agree that a board on the top will keep it from bowing out.

Needs a roof with cupola, wind vane and downspouts.

Here's my setup, rows outside and 2 plus years worth in the round barn. Wish the barn had more overhang tho. :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349252262063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349252262063.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 175
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349252367507.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349252367507.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.