Stacking near fence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dh1989

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2014
East Bay Rhode Island
The most open to sunlight (and out of the way) areas in my yard for wood racks are along fences. One is a 4' chain link which has plenty of air flow. I'm putting 4 cords near it, stacked in 2 long rows. The other fence is a stockade (wood picket) fence, 6' tall. I know the stockade won't flow air like the chain link. One side should get plenty of breeze, but the fence side will be blocked, obviously by the fence.

Ideally, how far from the stockade fence should I make my stack for proper air flow?

The most open to sunlight (and out of the way) areas in my yard for wood racks are along fences. One is a 4' chain link which has plenty of air flow. I'm putting 4 cords near it, stacked in 2 long rows. The other fence is a stockade (wood picket) fence, 6' tall. I know the stockade won't flow air like the chain link. One side should get plenty of breeze, but the fence side will be blocked, obviously by the fence.

Ideally, how far from the stockade fence should I make my stack for proper air flow?

If you are drying wood for this winter, I'd try and leave 1.5 to 2 foot?, but I really don't know what you have to work with or and statistics on how far would make a difference, and would try to leave a gap between each as well.

If it this wood for the future, winter 16-17, then I would be less concerned, and just consider if there is a problem with a leaner stack interacting with a fence.

In all, at only 2 deep, you should still have quite a bit of airflow. Just make sure the footing is sound and you stack well. Also, it's going to depend on the general airflow in the area, the sun you get, how your soil drains, etc, etc. A good part of it is going to be through experience, simply learning what you can "get away with".

With clearances / airflow, more is better, but it's going to take a few years of trial and error for your particular setup and weather to see what you can do.

Planning on top covering both piles? Not at all? Covering together? Also, depends on the wood you are putting up as some dry quicker than others.

There are a ton of variables. If you have the room, getting a few years ahead on your wood helps equalize the variables and make any one less of a concern, with having greater time on your side.

Last edited:
I've learned sun and wind are most important so take your prevailing wind direction into account plus everything pen stated above ^.^

We stack our wood (location) based on all the variables we could possibly think of for our mini-climate area.

You gotta store it where you can. I typically line mine in a single row along a privacy fence to save backyard space and keep the wife happy. I keep roughly a 6in gap between the stack and the fence, and that seems to work fine. The area gets plenty of sun and wind anyway.

Keep in mind that stacked wood will shift & sometimes tumble over. I used to think the deer were kicking my piles down but the wood will do it all on it's own. The chain link fence is the best for air flow but don't be surprised if it gets pretty badly bent. I agree with pen and keep the wood one length (16-20") from the wood fence.

The most important thing is making sure the bottom row is not on grass/ground. If not, after one year, the bottom row will be rotting and full of bugs. If you have access to free pallets in your area, they are the best to use on the bottom and the best to crib your wood piles.

Thanks. The wood is stacked on landscape timbers and cinderblocks, off the ground. Currently uncovered but I am getting some plywood to put over the top. I will keep the new stacks 2' from the wood fence. I will see how it dries there. Luckily my green wood is only 20-25% moisture content, so not Long to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.