Stacking on the pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Second time in the last few days I had the chance to get some stacking done. No more rows for me. I have been able to get solid plastic pallets to use. I stack them individually with hopes to be able to move the entire pallet some time in the future. Each pallet is about 3/4 of a cord. What surprises me most is that I can get a nice tight packing while constantly changing direction of the splits to help it stabilize.

Attachments

• palletstack.jpg
    palletstack.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: albert1029 and zap
What size are the pallets? They must be big if you can get 3/4 cord on one, I get less than 1/2 cord on one of mine.

Looks good mywaynow, I might grab some wooden pallets for some uglies we have.
zp

I'm guessing the pallets are 4' X 4' & you stack them 6' high. ?
Got any more pictures ? :)

Second time in the last few days I had the chance to get some stacking done. No more rows for me. I have been able to get solid plastic pallets to use. I stack them individually with hopes to be able to move the entire pallet some time in the future. Each pallet is about 3/4 of a cord. What surprises me most is that I can get a nice tight packing while constantly changing direction of the splits to help it stabilize.
Sounds like a good idea. The plastic pallets will last a lifetime. If they are 4' X 4' pallets that would be a stack a little over 6' high to make 3/4 cord. Currious as to how you stack that high and keep it stable???
Take care,
Tim

Sounds like a good idea. The plastic pallets will last a lifetime. If they are 4' X 4' pallets that would be a stack a little over 6' high to make 3/4 cord. Currious as to how you stack that high and keep it stable???
Take care,
Tim

Tim I stand pallets on the ends and make a bin with 4*6 pallets and they work well plus there cheap ! I don't know that you could get that high with 4*4 pallets but if you have enough you could easily modify the end pallets. They fit roughly 1 cord to a bin.

Pete

Reactions: timusp40
Good work myway. Need better pic of those pallets though. You have me curious now as well. Can ya get us a pic of the pallet empty and then full with all that wood on there. I hope you can move it without losing it after you pick it up.

Now that I have my tractor I have thought about building three sided wood "bins" simply made out of four pallets. One on the bottom and three around the sides with one side open. But then I wonder if it is worth it. My tractor loader max out is about 1000 lbs. Probably a little less. I can load a good bit of wood into the bucket just the way it is. But then have to load and unload. If I load a pallet I could only load so much. How high do think I could go on a 4x4 pallet with three sides on it? Think it would be worth it. Once I loaded it I could just move it once and leave it behind the house with a top put on it the end of October. Would be a lot less handling. I may have to put my mind to work and start thinking a little more like Pallet Pete!;) Let's here the ideas Pete. C'mon. Fork em over! ;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Tim I stand pallets on the ends and make a bin with 4*6 pallets and they work well plus there cheap ! I don't know that you could get that high with 4*4 pallets but if you have enough you could easily modify the end pallets. They fit roughly 1 cord to a bin.

Pete

;lol You beat me to it while I was typing. ALways one step ahead Pete!

Pete

What do you move them with Pete?

Good work myway. Need better pic of those pallets though. You have me curious now as well. Can ya get us a pic of the pallet empty and then full with all that wood on there. I hope you can move it without losing it after you pick it up.

Now that I have my tractor I have thought about building three sided wood "bins" simply made out of four pallets. One on the bottom and three around the sides with one side open. But then I wonder if it is worth it. My tractor loader max out is about 1000 lbs. Probably a little less. I can load a good bit of wood into the bucket just the way it is. But then have to load and unload. If I load a pallet I could only load so much. How high do think I could go on a 4x4 pallet with three sides on it? Think it would be worth it. Once I loaded it I could just move it once and leave it behind the house with a top put on it the end of October. Would be a lot less handling. I may have to put my mind to work and start thinking a little more like Pallet Pete!;) Let's here the ideas Pete. C'mon. Fork em over! ;lol

You could take a pallet on the ground then 3 sides screwed together and one on top. In essence making a sideways bin then stack 2 or three of them like a book shelf. this would allow you to have tarps drapped down the sides and front in the winter too. ::-) are you lost yet !

Pete

Each pallet measures 48 x 54. These are unique compared to wood pallets, but all the different types of plastic pallets I have are oversized to one extent or another. As far as stability, each layer runs 90 degrees to the one above and below it. They have been very stabil to date. My hopes of moving an entire pallet would be with a loader and fork attachments. I envision strapping the pallet with ratcheting ties prior to lifting and moving. Should work. I stack the pallets just over 5 feet tall. I am stacking to about my forehead hieght, which is just under 6 ft. I assume a loss of 5 inches for the pallet hieght so my final stacked dimension is 48x54x62 which equals .72 cords.

actually mine are stationary and don't move once built. The post before this might solve that though and allow 8ft tall. BIGGER IS BETTER ;lol

Each pallet measures 48 x 54. These are unique compared to wood pallets, but all the different types of plastic pallets I have are oversized to one extent or another. As far as stability, each layer runs 90 degrees to the one above and below it. They have been very stabil to date. My hopes of moving an entire pallet would be with a loader and fork attachments. I envision strapping the pallet with ratcheting ties prior to lifting and moving. Should work. I stack the pallets just over 5 feet tall. I am stacking to about my forehead hieght, which is just under 6 ft. I assume a loss of 5 inches for the pallet hieght so my final stacked dimension is 48x54x62 which equals .72 cords.

How much would that weigh myway? Roughly.

How much would that weigh myway? Roughly.
Had to look that one up. Looks like the Locust I stacked today would come in around 3000lbs. May have to get a bigger Kubota than I originally planned!!

Had to look that one up. Looks like the Locust I stacked today would come in around 3000lbs. May have to get a bigger Kubota than I originally planned!!

;lol Well. You got the money and you know it! Mine is a 37 horsepower and I believe the max load on the loader is 1000 lbs. But I would be fine with moving 1/4 of a cord around at a time. That would still save me a sh!tload of work. I don't mind the work as much now, but when I get older, like in my thirties ;em, I don't want to be doing it all the time. o_O

I have been eyeing the B3300SOU. It had the lift capacity at 1700 at the lift point. Not sure of what all that means, but it sounds expensive!

I have been eyeing the B3300SOU. It had the lift capacity at 1700 at the lift point. Not sure of what all that means, but it sounds expensive!

Oh. I suppose if you are using the three point on the back you could probably lift more with a pallet lift attachment on the back? I wasn't thinking about that. Maybe that is what they mean.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
No, it was a loader stat. There was also another rating at 24 inches from the lift point. Either way, this tractor is not picking up that pallet. I would have to wonder if the pallet could handle the task as well.

This is what I am using to do the same thing, I just built my first two bins today. Sorry no pics of the bins yet will get those up soon. I need to get to splitting soon now. Have 5+ cord cut and waiting to be split and stacked, I'm looking forward to using the pallet bins and not having to handle to splits so often.
tractor.jpg

Found the correct information on lift capacity; 1065 for that unit.

2 things Swag; 1- have you tried that lift mechanism out yet and how much were you lifting? 2- Your avatar pic looks like something is broke on that poor truck. Yes?

Found the correct information on lift capacity; 1065 for that unit.

2 things Swag; 1- have you tried that lift mechanism out yet and how much were you lifting? 2- Your avatar pic looks like something is broke on that poor truck. Yes?

Ive lifted few really big rounds with it so far, (48in round) it did the job well and didnt groan picking it up. Havent had the chance to try a loaded pallet yet. Will try that as soon as I have some time to split.

The truck load was this past spring when I buried the truck hauling a load out. Ended up burying the truck down to where the bed sat on the ground. Had my brother pull it out with his F250.

Is there a place to buy these pallets or do you have a connection? Would love to have some big plastic pallets.

Good work.

Is there a place to buy these pallets or do you have a connection? Would love to have some big plastic pallets.
If you really want to find them, check CL in your area. The way I have gotten them is to "run across" them while working. I have customers in industrial complexes that have them. Look for large stacks of wood pallets, and check those lots. If they get routine shipments that cause an overload of wood pallets, they may get plastic ones in. Also check for international companies as these plastic pallets can be shipped back and forth overseas with no concern of infestation from foriegn bugs. I see these sold for around 5-10 bucks each on CL. If you have to buy them, it is a long term investment.

Here is an ad of exactly what i use and was referring to: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/3333418338.html

Status
Not open for further replies.