Stacking on the pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really want to find them, check CL in your area. The way I have gotten them is to "run across" them while working. I have customers in industrial complexes that have them. Look for large stacks of wood pallets, and check those lots. If they get routine shipments that cause an overload of wood pallets, they may get plastic ones in. Also check for international companies as these plastic pallets can be shipped back and forth overseas with no concern of infestation from foriegn bugs. I see these sold for around 5-10 bucks each on CL. If you have to buy them, it is a long term investment.

Here is an ad of exactly what i use and was referring to: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/3333418338.html
thanks, those in the ad would be perfect but a little too far away, Ill check in my area, thanks again.

I kinda of do this with my tractor, but in a smaller scale due to lift capacity. But it works the same. I made a set of forks for my JD X720 45 Loader. Its got a load capacity of about 700lbs at like a foot, but 500 at about 3ft. Which is what it take to get on my front porch. I'll post a picture tonight.

I wouldn't worry about a 3-pt hitch lacking lifting power - the front end weight and not having imdependent rear brakes would be the only limitation.
Transported many a bin of pumpkins or squash without steering tires

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Tim I stand pallets on the ends and make a bin with 4*6 pallets and they work well plus there cheap ! I don't know that you could get that high with 4*4 pallets but if you have enough you could easily modify the end pallets. They fit roughly 1 cord to a bin.

Pete
Pete,
Got it now! Did not stop to think that the "Pallet Master" would have something clever and all thought out in mind. Good work and smart thinking Pete.
Take care,
Tim

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Here are pics of completed pallet stacks. The first is a single pallet, second is the side view of 2 in a row. I guess I still do stack by the row......

Attachments

• pallet2.jpg
    pallet2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 114
  • pallet1.jpg
    pallet1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 125
Here is my pallet that I use to bring wood to the front porch. I've got two of these so I can bring up and take one back with me.

27d0b5ef.jpg

Reactions: Gasifier
You guys make hauling wood too easy ::-)

Funny you metioned not stacking in rows any longer. I have been using pallets up until now. When putting some of last year's wood into the shed I got out the MM and checked some of the interior splits. I was disappointed in the readings of mid 20's. The mple was slightly lower but the cherry was more wet than I expected after 16 months or so.

Now I am stacking in rows(we have plenty of space) using the pallets and T-posts driven in the the ground for end supports. Will be interesting to see what, if any difference it makes.

I believe you will see a difference Bob. I am fortunate to have plenty of room. But, to not block to much of our view, I stack two rows on a pallet with a space between them. They get good sun and some wind, but not a lot. Drying seems to work well. I am staying ahead by one year. With White Ash and White pine that drying time seems to work well. I am hoping to get further ahead in the future.

Here is my new method, stack it in the pallet off the splitter and I put that out to season. I will move the whole thing into the garage when needed and dont touch the splits again until I move them inside. Thanks to Hearth members for that idea!
tractor1.jpg

Here is my new method, stack it in the pallet off the splitter and I put that out to season. I will move the whole thing into the garage when needed and dont touch the splits again until I move them inside. Thanks to Hearth members for that idea!
View attachment 78386

:eek:That is a serious load of wood swagler! Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.