stacking pellet bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman1776

Dec 19, 2010
central illinois
Hello everyone i am new to pellets stoves. Mine is still in shipping. I m socking up on some somerset pellets on sale at menards 3.49 bag. I would like to know how high i can stack the bags on top of each other before the wieght on the stack starts to crush the pellets on the bottom ?

I stack mine just as they come off the pallet back on pallets, rows of 5 bags alternating direction each row. I go almost 8 feet high which is about 2 tons total in a stack. I see double stacked pallets outside of stores all the time so I assume you can at least go that high. I don't think you would reasonably want to go any higher than that anyway, it would just get to the point where they are too high to reach.

The pellets on pallets are delivered just outside the cellar door. In the cellar I've been stacking the pellets on pallets 1.5 tons each stack, 5 bags per layer, 15 layers per stack. This makes each stack aprox 78" high and this gives 16" of room between the top of the stack and the bottom of the floor joists. Also, these stacks are as high as I want to have to safely hump it.

I'm pretty sure some mills stack 3 pallets high for storage.

I go about 6 feet high. You could probably go higher as long as you alternate the direction of the bags.

I have a 7 1/2' ceiling in my basement, and I stack the bags as high as I can reach....no problems. Just stack them like they were on the pallet....criss cross.

I stacked mine 18 layers high criss cross fashion same as they come on the pallets. I put the wood pallets down for a base as they are in my garage. The stack goes up to the rafters so I use a step ladder to reach the top. The pellets wont get crushed on the bottom , Ive stacked them this way for 3 years.. The weight is evenly distributed.

I hand stack mine in the basement up to the cieling....its 8', but when we deliver pellets (with a forklift), we will not stack over a skid high....they become somewhat unstable, and we feel a skid falling on top of some child might be detrimental to our business interests.

nosaudioil said:
The pellets on pallets are delivered just outside the cellar door. In the cellar I've been stacking the pellets on pallets 1.5 tons each stack, 5 bags per layer, 15 layers per stack. This makes each stack aprox 78" high and this gives 16" of room between the top of the stack and the bottom of the floor joists. Also, these stacks are as high as I want to have to safely hump it.

'Bout the same here.

20 bags high here. I'll let you know what the bottom bags are like when I get to them. Probably around early spring.

WE have a spot in the basement that has some interior storage rooms, with an Aisleway thats just about 8-10 inches wider than the pellet bags are long.

Its 10 feet deep and 8 feet high. With the concrete wall on one side, a wooden wall on the other its perfect for stacking pellet bags.

We have 2 full length 2X6 laying flat on the floor to keep the bags off the concrete.

Stack them 10 or so high. Can manage about 4 ton in the "slot"

Snowy

I go 12 rows high with 6 in each row. I can get 4 stacks for a total of 5.7 tons(288 bags). I have room to go higher but I'm only 5 foot something and the wifey is something shorter. No need to go higher as its just a pain in the neck to get them down.

I've been stacking to my 7 1/2' floor joists in my basement. Been doing this for 6 years with no problems with the bottom bags. I like to limit the amount of floor space I eat up with my stacks....

Status
Not open for further replies.