Stacking Question for Michigan Members

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Do you stack your wood for the south winds or west winds? I'm trying to decide if the west or south wind is more predominant in the summer. I'm leaning towards the south wind.

iam just below you south winds more than not

In the UP (or at least the northern UP) I think the prevailing wind is W to NW. Certainly NW is my favorite direction in the summer, cool off the lake. South wind means heat, humidity, and flies.

That said, I don't stack my wood in any particular orientation.

Mine are going both ways too (north/south east/west). If you can get a couple years ahead I don't think it will matter. Stack it out in the open where it gets plenty of sun, stack on pallets or something to keep it off the ground and your good to go.

I usually stack for west wind but SW is better. Right now we have both S-N and E-W stacks.

Where winter '09-'10 wood is stacked, it's oriented to take advantage of the sun (north side of an open field). Plenty of wind too, but our winds usually come in from the west. It's staying there until the fall, when I'll move it up to the house.
This year I may have to go n/s on a years supply due to space constraints.

Dave

Thanks for all the responses!

Backwoods Savage said:
I usually stack for west wind but SW is better. Right now we have both S-N and E-W stacks.

I figure s/w would be best also, I don't really have a good place to stack for s/w though. I think I'll have to roll the dice and stack for the south wind which will give it full sun.

I have about cord of red oak that will be cut/split 2 years this fall, and I'm trying to get more ash(about a cord already) together since it'll dry faster due to it's lower moisture content. I also have a bunch of pine/poplar that should dry fast enough to use this season. I'll have a lot of good hardwoods but I'm sure they won't be really good till 2010-2011. The first season may be a little rough but my second should be good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.