Stacking question... Under trees with wind exposure or against a fence with sun exposure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

av8roc

Nov 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Heading outside to split some fresh oak and I am trying to decide if I should stack the stuff under a couple of pine trees in the backyard or against a PVC fence that would allow for sun exposure.

Any ideas?

I would stack most of it with the wind exposer. Even wifeys laundry dries on a cloudy windy day.

Wow, you want both,but If its next years wood wind if this year sun

EatenByLimestone said:
Stack as much as possible in both places.

HTH,
Matt
I agree with Matt, fill both places up.

quads said:
EatenByLimestone said:
Stack as much as possible in both places.

HTH,
Matt
I agree with Matt, fill both places up.

Haha thanks that's gonna be the plan. This is oak that was felled yesterday so I'm gonna give it a good 2 years to dry. I decided to go with wind for now. The stack borders the back of my property and the neighbor behind me has kind of a Sanford and Son theme going so the wife is happy about a "privacy stack".

If I had to pick one or the other I might go with the windiest spot.
(live) Younger pine trees don't make goood end poles for stacks, though.

Stack Oak furtherst away. The rest is ready in < 12months either way.

At my house %-P

I stacked 4 cord last year on Dec 15 in an area that gets some sun in the winter months and filtered sun when there are leaves on the trees. It gets plenty of wind year round. I just started to burn this the other day and its buring real hot. So, sun and or wind will do the job, it's just a matter of stacking it and give it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.