Stacking Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kenny chaos said:
You guys all brain surgeons or what?
No, we're engineers and rocket scientists. What would a brain surgeon know about fluid dynamics anyway?

I'm waiting for someone to build a scale model and test it in a wind tunnel.

Zap, any chance we could get a 3d rendering of the area including nearby hills and trees?

Backwoods Savage said:
Won't do much blowing between the rows at all. Better to have the air flowing through the stack (hitting the ends of the logs).

That is the way I learned to stack for the quickest drying. Always have the prevailing wind blow through the stack. Works well for me. Winter winds are from the south/southwest and summer winds are from the north. Our stacks are east/west. However, if you have 2-3 years reserve, it may be somewhat less important. The wood will get dry eventually if it is split.

If a Shagbark Hickory is dropped on the 15th of January when the temperature is average for that day,
and it's cut to 16" lengths, split into 5" square pieces, and stacked on pallets with the stacks being single layered and not exceeding four foot in height, considering an average temperature year, the drying (18%) will be how many days sooner/later if stacked with the wind vs. across the wind?

What if it is Ash and the temperatures run an average of 5% cooler that year?

I use the often mocked HOlz hausen method to stack so I really don't care which direction the wind blows. Unless its a Long par 4.

I guess I'll call what I do "stacking for city slickers." I don't have enough yard to make single rows. I'm stacking on pallets, 3 rows deep (with some air space, but only an inch or two in between pieces) and 6 feet tall. A cord takes a footprint of about 4' * 5.5' * 6' tall, without causing any marital upset.

This pile (see picture) is red oak, so to get it to dry fast enough I'm making splits small -- mostly 2x6 or 3x4. It's really not a lot of extra effort to make the small splits, and it does make loading the stove easier. I'm hoping not to need this wood until December 2011, so we'll see how it does in 20 months.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 4.41.18 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 4.41.18 PM.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 156
LLigetfa said:
Stack it like a giant corn maze and have some fun with it.

Heh Heh . . . I was going to post something to this effect. :)

LLigetfa said:
kenny chaos said:
No, we're engineers and rocket scientists. What would a brain surgeon know about fluid dynamics anyway?

I'm waiting for someone to build a scale model and test it in a wind tunnel.

Zap, any chance we could get a 3d rendering of the area including nearby hills and trees?

Getfa this is the best I could do , I'll get the back hill tonight. :)

zap

Attachments

• 100_0693b.jpg
    100_0693b.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 138
kenny chaos said:
Is this a joke?

Which way to face stacks?

Wind will go thru two rows different than three?

Stay cool Kenny. You'll get over it quite quickly. lol

kenny chaos said:
If a Shagbark Hickory is dropped on the 15th of January when the temperature is average for that day,
and it's cut to 16" lengths, split into 5" square pieces, and stacked on pallets with the stacks being single layered and not exceeding four foot in height, considering an average temperature year, the drying (18%) will be how many days sooner/later if stacked with the wind vs. across the wind?

What if it is Ash and the temperatures run an average of 5% cooler that year?

It all depends upon the moon. It should be stacked when the moon is waxing for maximum benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.