Stacking Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
After having some extensive trimming of our VERY mature Sugar Maples done, the wife was asked if we would like the branches that were removed, cut into 16" lengths. She told them yes, and when I got home, there was about a half cord (they only trimmed two trees) or less, (she only wanted the branches that were hanging over the house, cut off), in the yard.

I tried to criss-cross my pattern (I don't have a splitter yet and these were mostly 4" and smaller branches anyway), but still it was a pain, trying to get these "rounds" to stay still. I suppose if I had a rack with end blocks of some type, THAT would've worked better.

There WERE a FEW splittable pieces as you can see, but not many......so I'll get out my axe..........

Ah well.........live-n-learn.......

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Maple Branches.jpg
    Maple Branches.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 286
You're going to love those rounds next year for overnight burns :)

Those are a perfect size. I would love to have a couple cords like that. I also like the larger of those rounds - one split and yer done.

Congratulations on the good wood Soupy!

Criss-cross pattern does not work worth a hoot for rounds. Just put those in between the criss-cross you use for the ends of the piles.

good idea, Backwoods Savage!

-Soupy1957

I round up (ha ha) several fallen limbs in my back woods. There are always plently of oak limbs that fall. Just finished this years trip and managed to get enough. As stated, these are perfect for stuffing (filling tha gap) when loading up the stove.

I just stacked a half cord of rounds, I messed with it for about 30min before I decided to stack a 4 split cris/cross on each end of 2 pallets and then filled the center with the rounds. Worked perfect.

I got all my limbs from a small property that was logged near my house, they left all the limbs and just took the trees so there was alot, I am going back next weekend for another trailer load.

Status
Not open for further replies.