Stacking wood by stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake, what is that a crack house.... i think it would be hard to intentionally make such a mess out of it if you tried........

Nope . . . just a typical low-rent apartment building in the "city". Besides up this way, prescription meds and synthetics are the drugs of choice . . . unless you go to the County where it is meth . . . and mid-coast and south it's heroin.

My family has a camp in ellsworth. more evidence and talk of drugs these parst few years than i would have expected..... its a shame, and explains why the camp gets broked into over winter probably 1/3 of the time.... ugh...

My family has a camp in ellsworth. more evidence and talk of drugs these parst few years than i would have expected..... its a shame, and explains why the camp gets broked into over winter probably 1/3 of the time.... ugh...

I hate thieves . . . and folks who damage stuff that isn't their own.

It's the stuff that is hidden by walls that scares me. Our old fireplace had two stove take-offs buried in the walls by subsequent remodels. One had wood framing right up against the cap! :eek: And then there is this travesty that happened in a friend's parents house. They had been burning in a stove for almost 30 years before pyrolysis finally ignited the wood. The builder put nothing between the tile liner and the wood! Fortunately no one was injured, but my friend's sister was reading in that bed when it happened.
View attachment 145183
same thing happen to a friend of mine 2 years back- prefab insert, something along the lines of a heatalator type assembly, They had been using it quite regularly for the previous few years he just happened to lean against an adjacent wall and noticed it was hot - 2x4 support structure for fireplace had over the eons turned to charcoal and ignited- Their remodeling plans got a jump start, no one hurt several thousand dollars worth of damage, if he hadn't noticed that wall being hot the outcome could have been completely different.

If you think something is to close, gather some data. Get a normal hot fire going, and grab an IR temp gun. Take some readings of things around the wood stove. Put a piece of wood (or something non-combustible) close, wait a few monitored hrs, and then take its temperature.

Codes and manufacturer recommendations are often made because people are unbelievably stupid. They will put their reloading powder 3 inches from the stove and think everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.