Stacking Wood Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Like other people, my mind was wandering a little while I was splitting wood and I had an idea on stacking wood, which was good timing since I've got this huge pile of it now. I'm not that crazy about using pallets because of the acquisition and handling and also because the land is somewhat uneven. I've got a couple of stacks on plastic, but it was pointed out that this would trap water in the low spots. So, why not use that black landscape fabric that allow water to go through it? I figure on putting down a big piece of it, so that even the aisles between the stacks would be covered. This would keep the weeds down, and maybe discourage insects and other decay-causing bugs to attack the stacked wood, while as I said allow drainage. Now that I think of it though, maybe the fabric wouldn't be that sturdy for the aisles to walk on with wheelbarrow, etc.

What you guys think?

My first knee jerk reaction is Naaaaw, I don't think you wanna do that. Keep in mind that stacking off the ground ALSO aids in air going UNDER the stack. I think you will still draw moisture to the bottom of the stack using that material. Also, in the walkways, I think you will find that the material will not hold up well to any abuse (dropping splits, catching a boot on the corner, wheel barrows, etc). If you don't want to use pallets, how about laying down posts or I have heard of people putting down a thick layer of wood chips first, but I have no idea how well that would work. Just my $.0002 worth.

I was thinking of putting gravel down next year. Maybe landscaping felt then gravel on top would be a good idea?

I don't like the size of pallets and have little access to them. What I do is take dry 6" logs and split them. Two per stack, I use wedging to level the out, I've had a few stacks where I needed a few rocks also. After the stack is burnt, I flip the rails and see how punky and decide if they will last another year or two. I tried using the whole logs, but I'm a lousy stacker and at some point they'd roll and I'd start over.

Gravel would be the ultimate.
Perhaps some sawdust on the cloth-covered aisles.
Hmmm...I wonder were I'll get some... :)
I personally don't see air flowing up under the pile as a big factor.
On the sides, yes.

Another option is to simply stack the wood directly on the ground. However, when the pile is down to the bottom row, save that for the next year and stack the lowest level on the top of next seasons stack. That way it will be nice and dry for the follow-on year.

I'm thinking more of the decomposition factor since I probably now have a total of 10 cords and I'll burn, what, maybe 3 cords this winter.

3 years worth of wood kept off the ground and if ya want to covered will last 3 (if its a hardwood)years. Take a year off an revel in the absence of processing wood and a job well done.

I like stacking on pallets. It keeps things up off the ground and IMO allows for better air circulation; I also have a spot that works well with the size pallets I use. I have also used some treated 4 x 4's laid parallel to each other.

I think it's important to keep the wood off the ground to promote better drying and keep things from rotting.

the gravel idea sounds good till one factors moisture is still rising from the ground.
Don't believe me just put a pice of plastic on top of the stone and watch the water collect on the underside.

One has to allow space for flowing air to midigate rising ground moisture be it pallets cement blocks RR ties they all work

I stack it on the ground. I don't care. I put the last layer on top when I restack. I move my wood from the side yard to the side of the house in Oct. I never had a problem.

I put the landscaping fabric down than a couble of pieces of slate to level out the pallets. Works great. After two years the pallets get a little banged up and few needed replacement. No problem getting them so when the woods off them and they look bad into the stove they go! Nothing wasted.

I agree, either stack on the ground and assume that the bottom layer or few will stay soggy and may rot if left long enough, OR do something to get the stacks OFF the ground. I can't think of ANY useful way to do ground cover that would keep the bottom layers of a stack on the ground dry, short of making a concrete slab w/ house style waterproofing under it, and a full roof over it.

Use either an expendable technique like pallets or small logs / branches as others have described, or some more lasting technique like PT boards, cinder blocks, etc. I used PT 2x4's on edge in my woodshed which worked great. (Note that IMHO 4" is pretty much the least you should try to get the stack off the ground, 6-8" would be better, but that would have cost me more...) Now that I'm switching the stove from the nominal 24+" length splits to one that uses 18", the spacing I used is no longer correct, so I've gotten pallets and ripped them down (with the chain saw) to fit in the spaces between my existing 2 x 4's, which lets me stack 5 rows of 18" splits across instead of 4 rows of 24".

BTW, are pallets or pallet scraps safe to burn in a cat stove? Or do they use wood treatments that would poison the cat?

Gooserider

i've always had a problem with the bottom of the stack being lets just say not as dry as the rest of the stack. i used to put down 2x4 or 2by something what ever was scrap from the job but they used to sink and the bottom of the row would be on the grass anyway.
now i used those stackit brackets (the metal one's) and use 2-8 foot 2x4's for the sides cut in half, and 2-16 foot 2 x 4's for the bottom. between the brackets every 4 feet are bricks to hold the weight and keep it steady along with a short 2x4 in the middle of the long 16 foot run to keep the runners from splitting and the ground under the wood is not level. each stack is 5 foot tall and 16 feet long.
it's about a cord each stack. i at least got rid of the bottom of the stack mold.

velvetfoot said:
Like other people, my mind was wandering a little while I was splitting wood and I had an idea on stacking wood, which was good timing since I've got this huge pile of it now. I'm not that crazy about using pallets because of the acquisition and handling and also because the land is somewhat uneven. I've got a couple of stacks on plastic, but it was pointed out that this would trap water in the low spots. So, why not use that black landscape fabric that allow water to go through it? I figure on putting down a big piece of it, so that even the aisles between the stacks would be covered. This would keep the weeds down, and maybe discourage insects and other decay-causing bugs to attack the stacked wood, while as I said allow drainage. Now that I think of it though, maybe the fabric wouldn't be that sturdy for the aisles to walk on with wheelbarrow, etc.

What you guys think?

The 'acquisition of pallets'??? You might be surprised at how easy you can find 'nice ones'.

With minimal effort, and a little homework, you might easily find a local 'pallet shop' that has exactly what you 'want'.

Search out "nest-able" plastic pallets (becoming more prevalent). Most pallet shops you will find are "all too happy" to find people that want them. They are still quite useable even after they "have no service life or value". They are lightweight, easy to handle and 'store' when not in use.

I use them for "the first layer" then put a wood pallet on top of them. Gets the wood twice as high off the ground (better air...less chance of 'critters' too).

Generally, there are "two varieties of plastic pallets" pool service, and private. The pool service ones are often black or green and can generally be seen in the supermarket aisles at night when they are stocking shelves. The private??? Let's just say they are orange and technically owned by the government (stamped with the orginization name) that delivers to your doorstep...These pallets companies have tons of.

Seriously though...check them out...you may be surprised.

I'll see about taking a couple of 'pics'.

I don't like the landscape fabric because mine rotted in one year in my garden. I am sure they have different quality fabric or thicknesses, but I have small chunks all over my garden. Even the birds are using it to make nests. I use Round-Up to keep the weeds down, but was thinking of getting a few pallets for big chunks and odd shaped pieces. Thought some day I might make a woodshed and use pallets for the floor.

Gooserider said:
I agree, either stack on the ground and assume that the bottom layer or few will stay soggy and may rot if left long enough, OR do something to get the stacks OFF the ground. I can't think of ANY useful way to do ground cover that would keep the bottom layers of a stack on the ground dry, short of making a concrete slab w/ house style waterproofing under it, and a full roof over it.

Use either an expendable technique like pallets or small logs / branches as others have described, or some more lasting technique like PT boards, cinder blocks, etc. I used PT 2x4's on edge in my woodshed which worked great. (Note that IMHO 4" is pretty much the least you should try to get the stack off the ground, 6-8" would be better, but that would have cost me more...) Now that I'm switching the stove from the nominal 24+" length splits to one that uses 18", the spacing I used is no longer correct, so I've gotten pallets and ripped them down (with the chain saw) to fit in the spaces between my existing 2 x 4's, which lets me stack 5 rows of 18" splits across instead of 4 rows of 24".

BTW, are pallets or pallet scraps safe to burn in a cat stove? Or do they use wood treatments that would poison the cat?

Gooserider

Goose,
Pallet scraps IMHO are perfectly fine to burn in a CAT stove...as long as you "know what you are burning". We burned a lot of pallet stock back in the 80's in our C D-W Federal AirTight with no detrimental effect to the CAT.

keyman512us said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Goose,
Pallet scraps IMHO are perfectly fine to burn in a CAT stove...as long as you "know what you are burning". We burned a lot of pallet stock back in the 80's in our C D-W Federal AirTight with no detrimental effect to the CAT.

Great... I know pallets burn hot, so you need to watch how much pallet wood you use, but I wasn't sure about whether they were OK in terms of anything that's on them... I scrounge the pallets that I use, so about all I can say about them for sure is that they are some sort of wood, but no idea what kind... I don't plan on burning a lot of pallet wood, but I have some left over scraps from where I was cutting them up to use in the floor of my woodshed, and I hate throwing the stuff away - like I've said "I'm cheap"....

Gooserider

I personally use pallets, but have you thought about using pressure treated landscape timber or 4 x 4's? If on a hill, you could use the timbers and put two steel "T" fence posts into the ground at the ends of the timbers to keep it from rolling down hill. Repeat as needed for the size/quantity of the wood pile.

Bob

I work at a garden center and we sell a good grade of landscape fabric by the foot. It comes from the same rolls that the landscape installation crews use. We have it in our greenhouse area and walk on it all the time. No appreciable wear in 4 years. Look for a woven fabric. It will last. However, as others have commented moisture will still wick up out of the ground. If it is in the sun the black color will aid in keeping the fabric dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.