stacking wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

May 23, 2008
New Hampshire
Quick question in regards to stacking wood. I know it has to be stacked off the ground so it does not rot. but can wood be stacked on pavment? The reason I ask is I have a guy delivering wood and I don't have pallets made up, so I was thinking it can be stacked on pavment on the side of my house.

Regards
Frank

I have wood stacked on a concrete slab under roof. I have wood stacked on pressure-treated 2x4's on the ground. I have wood piled on a gravel drive. Protect it from direct ground (dirt) contact any way you can. As Pook said, be careful stacking wood in close proxikity to your home, or other structures. I stack wood along one wall of my house, but it's all brick fascia with no exposed wood anywhere near the stacks. Rick

I stack mine on old 2x4s or bricks set up as parallel rails. I have old patio stone under the rails. It keeps the firewood off the ground and lets the bottom row get some air circulation.

You will get better and better at stacking, I end up picking up a pile or two threw out the year...

There's a place in Londonderry right near MHT that has all the palets that you could want free. If you go up High Range to the airport and take a left- the place is on the right like 2 buildings up from the stop sign. Some sort of metal fab place or something- they had an ad on Craigslist telling people to come clean them out.

Adios Pantalones said:
There's a place in Londonderry right near MHT that has all the palets that you could want free. If you go up High Range to the airport and take a left- the place is on the right like 2 buildings up from the stop sign. Some sort of metal fab place or something- they had an ad on Craigslist telling people to come clean them out.

Dang! I'd like to have some of those, but that would be quite a drive for me. :wow: Rick

Road is Industrial Dr. The place was called something like Precision Steel fabrication... parking lot is just before it as you come from High range. I flew home last night into MHT and made note as I drove by.

Hey LONDONDERRY if that pad doesn't have standing water after rain I'd go ahead and stack it there...sometimes you just have to go with what works best for you. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle in some moth crystals or some other insecticide while your stacking the wood...if your worried about bugs.

Also if the eves deposit water on the wood it would be prudent to cover just the top of the wood too.

LONDONDERRY said:
Quick question in regards to stacking wood. I know it has to be stacked off the ground so it does not rot. but can wood be stacked on pavment? The reason I ask is I have a guy delivering wood and I don't have pallets made up, so I was thinking it can be stacked on pavment on the side of my house.

Regards
Frank

If you burn it within a couple of years it won't rot stacked directly on the ground unless.....it is pine, basswood, or another soft wood. I have never used pallets but did get a few now to try since others here said they work well. Kind of a pain in my book so will see. Since I am getting some wood ahead I thought I would try the pallets too.

My woodshed gets the wood directly on the ground. When I load it to bring to the stove I just brush whatever dirt is on it off and it works fine for me.

I stack mine at the end of our driveway, southern facing next to our ledge overlooking our pond on 2x12 rough cut planks that I have tons of. We get strong winds more so than our neighbors because 1/2 mile across our pond is a large clearing then the pond starts wide and gets narrow right by the house making easternly winds pick up speed.Also, it gets plenty of sun plus the pavement radiates heat and dries 10x faster than dirt or gravel ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.