Stack'n

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Ever since I bought a house 2 years ago, I've been splitting wood periodically and learning how best to stack firewood in my yard. As pathetic as it is, my journey is shown in pictures.

Attachments

• DSC04134.jpg
    DSC04134.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC04132.jpg
    DSC04132.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 500
  • SSPX1135.jpg
    SSPX1135.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 488
  • SSPX1266.jpg
    SSPX1266.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 493
  • SSPX1302.jpg
    SSPX1302.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 505
Stax said:
Ever since I bought a house 2 years ago, I've been splitting wood periodically and learning how best to stack firewood in my yard. As pathetic as it is, my journey is shown in pictures.

Looks good, what type of wood do you have?

zap

Zap, Rcrozier here. Decided to change the handle. I mostly have ash, followed by silver maple and then a little paper birch.

Stax said:
Zap, Rcrozier here. Decided to change the handle. I mostly have ash, followed by silver maple and then a little paper birch.

Sounds good, I sold the only ash we had late last winter so I've never burned it yet. I do have a birch that mother nature took care of so that is my next tree.

We burn lots of cherry which is like silver maple btu wise, how much wood do you plan on burning?

zap

The only thing "Pathetic" was the first shot - stacking splits on top of rounds. I see you quickly learned the error of your ways. The rest looks great, though I don't much hold to covering my stacks. I let them fend for themselves until two or three days before I burn them. That's when I move the splits from the stacks to the covered front porch.
Even if you have to worry about snow, which I don't, I wouldn't cover them until the first snow hits you.

If the photos show a progression from first stacks to last, I think you got the hang of it after only one try. I don't love that first stack, but the others look great.

Nice progression. As duck says, "I think you got the hang of it."

Sahwn

I see nothing pathetic.

Nice progression from starter stack to a rather impressive pile of wood :)

when you said pathetic I started to get worried. I thought you snuck into my back yard, took some pics, and posted them! :bug:

My wood stacks are never pretty . . . but as long as they stand up and allow the wood to dry I'm happy . . . burning wood isn't supposed to be a beauty contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.