Stacks finished and Holz hausen beginning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
Finished my latest stacks replacing what I burned last winter and adding several rows. This is almost all red oak, white oak, and shagbark hickory. Just under 8 cords in these stacks. They are stacked on pallets. This will be burned sometime after 2019.

102_0564.JPG

Will cover these stacks this fall before the leaves drop. Also started a holz hausen with some oak and hickory that I had cut that was left over. I don't know how much wood I will need to finish it - this is just something I've always wanted to try. I am stacking this rather loosely and am curious to see how it dries.

102_0500.JPG

102_0501.JPG

Combined with all of my other stacks I am at about 28 cords c/s/s, good for 5-6 years hopefully here in Virginia. Have barely cut anything all summer, will probably start again in the fall when the weather gets more tolerable and the humidity goes down.

that first picture is really 8 cords?

Took some precise measurements today (as precise as I get for firewood) and it came out to a little under 8. Tough to measure because it's on a hill, so the stacks in back are higher than the stacks in front. I got average height at 3.5 feet. Stacks are about 17 feet in width and depth. I left a little space between the pallets that I didn't account for the first time so I'm thinking it's closer to 7.5.

that first picture is really 8 cords?
Yep the man knows his wood been reading his post for years. If he says 8 its not far off.

Reactions: red oak
Status
Not open for further replies.