Stackwall / Cordwood / Stovewood Masontry/Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
I think I found an alternate use for all of the big poplar trees on my property which won't make great firewood... a stackwall / cordwood barn. Google it. It's essentially a stone barn, made of wood. Lighter, easier, faster, relatively fireproof, cheaper. Stronger than a straw-bale house (which is quite strong). If you know how to stack a wood pile, you're half way there.

I've already built a holzhaufen, maybe now it's time to build a Cordwood construction barn.

Thoughts? Anyone ever actually seen one?

When I first read your post, I was thinking that's just plain ignert, but after looking at some pics, they look kind of cool.
There's even houses made this way.
Two questions.
How long would it take for the wood to rot?
What kind of footer is required?

Our neighbors built a timber frame/cordwood home - spectacular - and did it themselves. They build a double wall with air space between to run electric, plumbing, and extra insulation. Used a mortar type material on all the joints, inside and out. House has been up for about 15 years and have not heard of any problems.

derecskey said:
I think I found an alternate use for all of the big poplar trees on my property which won't make great firewood... a stackwall / cordwood barn. Google it. It's essentially a stone barn, made of wood. Lighter, easier, faster, relatively fireproof, cheaper. Stronger than a straw-bale house (which is quite strong). If you know how to stack a wood pile, you're half way there.

I've already built a holzhaufen, maybe now it's time to build a Cordwood construction barn.

Thoughts? Anyone ever actually seen one?
Check out Mother Earth News, they should have some how to articles. I would go with a better wood, polar rots very easily and that's a lot of work to see it come down in a few years time.
Ed

One key to success with any log building is to keep the logs dry, which requires considerable roof overhangs and splash protection along the foundation.

I have seen about five cord wood homes as well as a cord wood fence, woodshed and sauna. Check out Rob Roy (what a great name) for Cordwood construction techniques. Excellent book on sauna building and his home is cordwood and he runs courses. Local college runs a cordwood course out my way.

They last a long time. Ever see any old log cabins? Popular technique in the late 19th century and many are still standing.

Saw a beautiful cord wood home in Bella Coola.

I am planning on building a cord wood sauna one day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.