Stage 2: The Barn Loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
Stage 2: The Barn Loop

I have 1200 feet of mislabeled 1” inch Pex-Al pex from boiler to barn in 4 lengths (2 supply and 2 return). It is really ¾” Pex-Al pex. The interior dimension (I.D) of the Pex-Al pex is .806” (which is closer to 1” regular pex than it is to 3/4” regular pex.).So the run from boiler to barn is roughly a 300 foot one way ride. The four lines are wrapped in a heavy black plastic tubing, insulated to R22, wrapped in plastic tubing again, covered with aluminum roofing shaped in an inverted V, and buried on average 2 feet deep with no underground fittings.

The plan is to use a Grundfos 15-58 to push water out to the barn and another to push it back. The manifold is 1.25 black pipe, flanges are 1.25” too. In the manifold there’s a third Grundfos 15-58 to feed the 3 loops of ½” pex (each about 240 ft.)

The rooms in the barn are well insulated (R22 minimum but some is R50) but have cement floors. The radiant emitters are loops of ½” pex on the walls. There are 6 lines in 4 feet of height on walls 40 feet long. So the spacing is 8”. The temperature to maintain is 64*F.

According to calcs that I’ve done using formulae from the Manual of Modern Hydronics the emitters I have in place should be capable of 37-39 KBtus for each room. The rooms have excellent insulation (were it not for the floors). Anyway, the heat loads are a lot less than the capability of the emitters. I did my calculations based on 140* average water temperatures.

It is easy to calculate the head for a known pipe but what happens when you double-up the pipe (pex-al pex) as I have. Is it just by guess work that we arrive at a head calculation?

My main question is whether there is enough pumping capability in the plan.

Also, I’ve planned to have the two pumps (in the barn) operate on a thermostat, so that demand triggers flow. This feature could be eliminated and all 3 pumps could run full-time, if necessary.

The one pump, located at the boiler end of the barn loop would operate full-time. This boiler end pump (I hope) would prevent freeze-up in the event of a power failure; providing that it can push a minimal amount of water through the 600 foot barn loop.
In the event of power outage, the three 250’ loops would not have a dedicated driving pump so would be relying on the already heavily strained boiler-end pump. On the plus side, it should not take much flow of 140 degree water to prevent freezing.

The boiler end has a generator in case of power outage. The barn pumps do not have power in an outage.

Is there enough information here to assess the functionality of this loop?

Tim,

Two equal loops in parallel each have the same head but for half the flow.

I did a quick calc and the total head is just under 7 feet for 600 feet of PAP 3/4" if I'm right.

4 gpm at 20 degree delta will give about 40kbtu/hr which should meet your stated needs. It would appear that a single 15-58 on just one of your loops would be sufficient for your requirements looking at the graphs. I don't think you need both loops powered by two pumps unless you need extra btu delivery in the future. I will recheck these figures as I did them in a hurry.

Don

Don L said:
It would appear that a single 15-58 on just one of your loops would be sufficient for your requirements looking at the graphs. I don't think you need both loops powered by two pumps unless you need extra btu delivery in the future. I will recheck these figures as I did them in a hurry.

Don

I knew I shouldn't do things in a hurry! Disregard statement above. If you push 4 gpm instead of 2 gpm through a single 600 foot loop head goes from about 7 to 46. Therefore, a single pump used to push 4 gpm through both loops (each at 2 gpm) should be more than adequate for your design goal. Hope someone else will verify this for you.

BioHeat Sales Guy said:
Taco has produced a really good tech bulletin on pump and pipe sizing. Go to their site and search for "TD10" and the doc should pop up. Might be useful to post a link in the 'useful tidbits' sticky Gooserider.

Chris

I agree, it's a great paper. I have a link to it in post #2 of the tidbits sticky, although I found it a different way. :cheese: (Taco has a site that gives many roads to the same destination)

Gooserider

Thanks for the responses so far.

The Taco paper is excellent and I have used it often.

Regrettably, I still have a gap in my understanding about flow. What is the impact of adding a pump in series or several pumps in series?

For example, with a 600' round trip, one pump pushing from the start of the loop, is the head halved by having a another pump in the barn pushing water back to the primary loop or is the head calculation with that configuration not that easily derived. Does the second pump effectively make the loop 300'?

The barn loop is being built with expansion in mind; so while I have a high degree of confidence that there will be adequate flow for the present requirements; I am less confident in the capabilities going forward.

Mushroom Man said:
Thanks for the responses so far.

The Taco paper is excellent and I have used it often.

Regrettably, I still have a gap in my understanding about flow. What is the impact of adding a pump in series or several pumps in series?

For example, with a 600' round trip, one pump pushing from the start of the loop, is the head halved by having a another pump in the barn pushing water back to the primary loop or is the head calculation with that configuration not that easily derived. Does the second pump effectively make the loop 300'?

The barn loop is being built with expansion in mind; so while I have a high degree of confidence that there will be adequate flow for the present requirements; I am less confident in the capabilities going forward.

In a "perfect world" where there is no flow resistance, and so forth, theory says that if you put two identical pumps in parallel, you will get twice the volume at the same pressure. If you put them in series, you will get twice the pressure, and the same volume.

However when you start doing this in a "live" situation, it gets trickier and uglier - flow resistance is essentially a function of the pipe size and flow volume - as you try to push more volume through a pipe of a given size, the flow resistance goes up DRASTICALLY, and there is no real way around this... If you put pumps in series, with a large amount of flow resistance between them, you are very likely to find that the NPSH (Net Positive Suction Head) needed at the second pump's intake won't be adequate, and you will get cavitation at the pump intake (a VERY bad thing - eats pumps among other issues)

The only time you will get a benefit from combining pumps is if the capacity of the piping is such that the combined pump outputs doesn't exceed the operating range of the pumps... IOW, moving pumps around on the circuit doesn't change the laws of physics - if it wouldn't work to have the pumps next to each other, it still won't work to have them on opposite sides of the loop. In theory, you COULD possibly do a sort of end run around this by putting a second storage tank at the barn end, so that you are in effect running two single direction open circuits - one from the house storage to the barn storage, and then a second from the barn storage back to the house storage, but this raises a bunch of other issues...

Bottom line, the only way to increase you heating capacity once you've reached the volume limits of your existing piping is to add more pipe...

Gooserider

You can circulate a trouble free 8 gpm on one inch. Since you have two one inch lines both ways .... Why not install a pump on each supply. Pump one when the load loss on that line is low and pump them both when you need 80KPH -- now you will have to correctly size the manifold on the receiving end and a larger tank for hydraulic separation wouldn't be the worst choice

Just thoughts!

Sting said:
You can circulate a trouble free 8 gpm on one inch. Since you have two one inch lines both ways .... Why not install a pump on each supply. Pump one when the load loss on that line is low and pump them both when you need 80KPH -- now you will have to correctly size the manifold on the receiving end and a larger tank for hydraulic separation wouldn't be the worst choice

Just thoughts!

That sounds like a good idea to me... Efficient, gives some level of redundancy in case of failure, and only running one pipe in low demand times helps keep the flow velocity with in the desired 2-4fps range.

Gooserider

Stage 2 : The Barn Loop

It is complete. Hurray! Two of 3 rooms are up to temp and the third is getting there. For the record, I have one Grundfos 15-58 pump, on low speed at the start of the barn secondary loop. That pump runs constantly.

There are two thermostatically controlled pumps (Grundfos 15-58's) in the barn. Both barn pumps operate at the same time on low speed. One pump is pushing water back to the primary loop. The other is a booster on the supply side of the manifold for the 3 -250' loops in the various barn rooms.

The loops in the various barn rooms are mounted in loops on the walls (home-made emitters) as opposed to in cement on the floor. The cement floor method would be better because it will hold the heat longer; but I wasn't interested in putting more cement over an existing cement floor. If this method proves unsuitable, I'll have to go that route.

Now for stage 3 : The Storage Loop

Thanks to all contributors for your counsel.

Don L says --
I did a quick calc and the total head is just under 7 feet for 600 feet of PAP 3/4” if I’m right. 4 gpm at 20 degree delta will give about 40kbtu/hr which should meet your stated needs. It would appear that a single 15-58 on just one of your loops would be sufficient for your requirements looking at the graphs.

When I do the calc for 600 feet of straight pipe, 0.806 diameter, 4 gpm, I get head of about 29', divided by 2 = 14.5'. Does not include any fittings, etc. Head Calc

Don, how did you come up with your calculation?

[edit] OOPS! 2 gpm each line = 8' head on the calculator. Still does not include fittings, etc.

jebatty said:
Don L says --
I did a quick calc and the total head is just under 7 feet for 600 feet of PAP 3/4” if I’m right. 4 gpm at 20 degree delta will give about 40kbtu/hr which should meet your stated needs. It would appear that a single 15-58 on just one of your loops would be sufficient for your requirements looking at the graphs.

When I do the calc for 600 feet of straight pipe, 0.806 diameter, 4 gpm, I get head of about 29', divided by 2 = 14.5'. Does not include any fittings, etc. Head Calc

Don, how did you come up with your calculation?

[edit] OOPS! 2 gpm each line = 8' head on the calculator. Still does not include fittings, etc.

From Taco "pump & pipe sizing"

HL = k x c x L x (f1.75)
Where:
HL = the head of the piping system (feet of head)
k = a number based on tubing type/size (found in Table 3)
c = correction factor for fluid type and temperature (found in Table 4)
L = total equivalent length of piping circuit (feet) (from Step 3)
f1.75 = flow rate through piping (gpm) raised to 1.75 power (selected values found in Table 5)

HL=.0034 X 1 X 600 X (3.364) = 6.68 feet for 2gpm
HL =.0034 X1 X 600 X (11.314) = 23.08 feet for 4 gpm

Yes! you are right. Plus fiitings.

What strikes me is how quickly the head will increase with little additional flow. I don't think the second 15-58 on this 600 foot loop in series will make much of a difference in transporting a lot more btus. I think the requirement was to support 39k btus. I think the loop will provide that with a the single pump , but I think that is about all your going to get. I'm no expert on this believe me, just trying to understand how this stuff works.

quick rule of thumb - double the flow, head increase x 3

I understand Don's calcs but I wonder what flow I am achieving with the 2 Pex-Al pex lines running parallel. Using Don's calc above at 2 gpm, I suppose that there is 4 GPM available assuming the low head (6) scenario. My guess is that by increasing the pump speed, I can move more water and thereby get more heat. Is this correct? I'd like to move at least 3 gpm per line or 6 in total. Does this seem reasonable?

I am getting 70 degrees in the barn in these warm outside temps (40*) and that is before I close in the windows with insulation and do some major sealing of gaps. That is today's job. I also have some lines to insulate that are exposed in the uninsulated part of the barn.

I am beginning to think I'll be marginal in the barn, if I cannot push more water through. I need to hold 60-64 degrees or grow a cooler temp mushroom like a King Oyster.

Mushroom Man said:
I understand Don's calcs but I wonder what flow I am achieving with the 2 Pex-Al pex lines running parallel. Using Don's calc above at 2 gpm, I suppose that there is 4 GPM available assuming the low head (6) scenario. My guess is that by increasing the pump speed, I can move more water and thereby get more heat. Is this correct? I'd like to move at least 3 gpm per line or 6 in total. Does this seem reasonable?

I am getting 70 degrees in the barn in these warm outside temps (40*) and that is before I close in the windows with insulation and do some major sealing of gaps. That is today's job. I also have some lines to insulate that are exposed in the uninsulated part of the barn.

I am beginning to think I'll be marginal in the barn, if I cannot push more water through. I need to hold 60-64 degrees or grow a cooler temp mushroom like a King Oyster.

First of all congratulations on getting that barn loop up and running. That is quite an accomplishment in itself.

At 3 gpm through each loop that will be a head of at least 14 feet. I think the 15-58 pump on high speed may come close to giving you 6 gpm total or close to it, but I doubt much more. If you need more, a bigger pump may be needed. Since it is all hooked up and running now probably the best thing to do is just wait and see how well it does preform as the weather gets colder. It may be a surprise to see that it work fine the way it is.

Rough approximation, to increase the flow by 50% will increase your pump head by a factor of 2. Look at your pump curve(s) and see what speed you need to increase flow to 3 gpm at double the pump head. If the calc is 6.68 ft of head at 2 gpm, then about 13.36 ft of head at 3 gpm.

Mushroom Man said:

You know a whole lot more about the economics of mushroom farming than I do (Easy enough to have >0 :lol: ) but it would seem that unless there's a lot more money in the high temp strains, then it might make sense to do a lower temp mushroom regardless of how good the heating system is, as it will take less wood and energy to maintain a lower temp, no matter how good the heating system is.... Perhaps change strains with the seasons?

Gooserider

I doubt that you will get much more than 3 gpm with a 15-58, if head is 14 ft at 3gpm. At this head and above a speed increase will have little effect.

Thanks Don, it feels like a significant milestone especially for someone who didn't understand the primary secondary schema at the onset. It certainly seems like a great solution to my needs at this point.

Ever the optimist, I am plowing ahead in the hopes that 6 gpm will suffice for now. I increased the pump speed in the barn and the heat increased almost immediately. If heat is just not enough, I will likely proceed in this way:
1. improve the insulation - that is happening anyway. There are many minor gaps that collectively add up to a big heat loss.
2. improve the radiance [I have no reflective material behind the radiant loops, so that is still a possibility if the heat won't keep up. Metal or insulated reflective material are both options I have considered but have not acted on yet; in hopes the simple radiant loops will suffice]
3. add a larger capacity pump (more ongoing cost for power)
4. add more radiant loops. This solution would require some warm weather, which realistically won't happen till spring.

I can see where air exchange is going to be a fine balance (exchanging air sufficiently while maintaining temperature). Calcs are one thing, reality is another. Ideally, I'd like to exchange the air every half hour but whether or not that is possible remains a mystery.

Next winter I'll have a lot more straw bales for insulating and a lot more experience with the hydronic heating. If all goes as planned, there'll be another room or two to contend with.

Well I've had a few weeks to observe and it is not working as planned. There are some good and some not so good elements.
First the good:
1. The 15-58 pumps are capable of moving 3 GPM per line (.0034x600X6.389=13.03 feet of head). The pump curve indicates that capacity on medium speed, and if I allow 30% more head for fittings the high speed setting would accomodate 3GPM ...Just. So theoretically I have 6 GPM to work with at the barn.
2. The Water is still hot when it gets to the barn. If it's 68C out of the secondary line pump at the garage, it is 66.4C on arrival at the barn manifold. That's good I think.
3. Mushroom 1 is nice and warm (22C/74F) even when sub-zero (C). It has the manifold and a home-made emitter [40'X4' - 1/2"Pex strung 8" apart (6 loops)] that appears to be working well.

Now the bad:
1. Mushroom 2 (MR2) is cool (11C/51F). It has the same emitter but 36' long. This has been confusing. At the manifold, I measured 59.5 C supply and 51 C return. On further checking, I had 55.5C arriving at MR2 and 18" further down the pex line I had 22C, five inches further it was 12C. It continued cool until getting near the exit of the emitter where it achieved 38 and finally 51 back at the manifold. There must be a ghost flow from the return to the manifold that radiates deep into the loop (30 feet). It is almost like a blockage but more likely it has something to do with my plumbing.

2. Similar issue in the sweet potato room but it is not as evident because it has straw bale insulation and it is small (40X10X7).

What might cause such a sudden drop in temperature over such a short distance?

Are you sure that you actually have flow in the MR2 loop? It sounds to me like that loop is airlocked and you are either getting single pipe ghost flows up each end to the bubble, or possibly just a partial block that is letting a trickle by, but not enough to deliver the expected BTU's.... I would try isolating that loop and doing a full pressure purge on it...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.