Stage 3: Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
It is time to do the plumbing on the storage loop and I've come to the Boiler Room brain trust for confirmation of a plan. The plan isn't mine but was given to me by a kind contributor to this forum .

I think this plan will work. I know there are other ways to do it.

What I'd like to discover is how others have done their storage loops before I plumb the loop.

I have the Danfoss 4-way valve and the heat exchanger. The tank has held water now for 14 months. The Pex-Al pex lines are run to the tank from the Primary loop. I am planning to use 2 Grundfos 15-58 circulators.

I was planning to locate the two pumps in the garage near the primary loop. I was also planning to locate the HX in the garage. That location would facilitate continuance in the event of a power failure. The generator can run all the pumps.

The primary loop is nearly 100 feet from the storage tank. Heat will be lost to the house from the lines to the storage tank. The lines run under the floors of two bathrooms.

I'd appreciate your input. The help in the first two phases of this project has been terrific.

Attachments

• storageDesign2.jpg
    storageDesign2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 327
Looks good to me my friend....... I like the idea of the 4 way valve...... With primary/secondary it's a much better setup..... Alas, I'm (going to be) using two 15-58's pointed in opposite directions which means that my flow is gonna be backward when charging...... (I'm not using a flat plate, but in-tank coils so I have only one pump needed to run water into-outof the tank..... straight off the primary loop)

Status
Not open for further replies.